Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler Crossmember

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Jan 17, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Doubler is in and now new shafts. Question is, how high should I mount the crossmember. I have only mounted the rear one (welded in some 1.5 X 4 1/4" thick tubing to extend crossmember for this) Question is, I used to have my 241 lowered, should I do this now also or mount the crossmember up to frame. I have the dual CV's front rear and angles are good, but main question is that I forgot the original angle of engine/trans. If I remember correctly it sloped down a little as it went to rear. My trans pan is level as it sits now (1" spacers in between frame and crossmember), so am I hurting anything to get rid of the 1" spacers. I have the clearance between the fan and raditor and lower crank pulley and engine crossmember, but now the trans pan would be 2 degrees sloping towards front. Obviously, I would like to mount the crossmember up tight as possible, but don't want mess anything up. Any advice would be appreciated.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hey General, I don't know but you might try posing this on the ORD forum. You might even get help from Steve on this.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

3. TheGeneral

Yea, I did that too, but a lot of members read the main board more and have the knowledge as well. Thanks.

The General

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you can mount it up to the frame and the shaft angle is correct and no vibs driving down the road you should be fine. So are you going to bring that beast up to wheel with us at Paragon in August?

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. TheGeneral

Sounds like a good idea. I should be ready, still have to get bumpers, winch, and some other stuff. What are the dates? I will be in new command then so I should be able to make it.

The General

6. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

I mounted my doubler using both the front and rear cross members. I started by setting the transfrer case / transmission height with the front cross member. This maintains the stock angle for the drive train. Then I used some 1/2 - 3/4" spacers to install the rear cross member.

Both cross members are stock GM stuff just drilled / slotted to fit the frame.

76-82 Chevy Pickup / Blazer - K5-K10-K30
    90' TBI
    TH 400
    203 / 205 Doubler
    Dana 60, Corp 14 - 4.88'd - Detroit Locked

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

As of now it is being set up for Aug. 10th and 11th. By the looks of it this might turn into a fairly big event.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>