Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doubler/driveshafts

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by elacruze, Feb 3, 2004.

1. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

My truck has a TH400/205 now (round pattern, slip yoke). I have a TH400/203 combo on the shelf. First, are all TH400 cases created equal (viz. K case 350)? Second, if I install the 400/203 in the truck, can I have shafts built around that and be assured that they'll be the correct length for the doubled 205 (with short input, fixed yoke)? How much is front length affected by the 2" rotation? I'd like to have as little downtime as possible; I could have the shafts built at the same time as the tranny work and doubler install.
    Am I forgetting anything?

Eric

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Congrats on having perfect parts.

You can count on the rear driveshaft length being the same as the 203 but the front shaft with the Doubler will have to be 3" longer than the front shaft for the 203 by itself.

Remember, you will need the short 32 spline input gear in that round pattern NP205 if that's the one you want to use for the Doubler.

On the transmission case, I'm not an expert in this area, and I know the 4wd cases are more desirable, but I don't know if there's any difference between early and later models. You can probably just take your pick between the 2.

3. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

To be clear; with doubler, short input shaft in 205, fixed 205 output, and clocked 2" up..

Rear DS length is equal to th400/203 stock.
    Front DS length is +3" from th400/203 stock.

Are the 205 and 203 front flanges the same pattern for the DS?

Thanks

Eric

4. Stephen

You got it right. I'd wait till it's done to measure for the front, but the rear should be OK to do mocked up with just the 203 in there.
    The 203 and 205 flanges are the same part, they interchange directly. So yes, they are the same pattern. The thing you'll have to watch on the front is the rotation, along with the 3" back, you'll go about 2" up and that could mess with the length a little bit.

5. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

I didn't consider driving the truck with only the rear. Duh.
    OK then, I'll be ordering the doubler, 205 input shaft, and triple stick shifter as soon as the butter and eggs are sold.

Thanks

Eric

6. Stephen

As much as I like butter and eggs, I can't eat enough to offer you a trade, so I guess we'll wait a little.