Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler Fluid type

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by TheGeneral, Nov 24, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Steve, or whoever knows. What type of fluid to fill doubler with. ATF or 80-90 gear oil? Thanks for info. She is almost in at this point.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

That should be all 80-90 weight oil.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Thanks Wes

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

I've been running ATF in the 203 for about a year and a half. No problems so far. Because I live in Az, I change it a couple times a year. Makes it so it's not so sluggish on a cold morning.

Marv

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Now Marvin, what do you really know about cold mornings living in AZ? Don't want to sound harsh, but after coming back from minnesota to the colorado high country I'd be really happy to have some above freezing low temps! I do agree with the sluggish thing, even with a single t-case we put the case in neutral and let everything idle with the trans in gear to move the oil around and warm it up on a really cold day. Cold up here being "0" or below.

Really the 203 and 205 are very tolerant of oil type, the 203 was spec'd for 30 wt so it could pump the oil on a cold day, we run 80-90 usually in the gear box as a Doubler, but I wouldn't have a problem with ATF. The 205 was spec'd with ATF in later years, probably just for better milage. I inadvertantly ran ATF for quite a while in my 205 with no ill effects.
    I don't know enough about lubricants to make any distinction beyond experience and what the factory spec'd out. I do know that gear oils are more tolerant of higher pressures (that's why they work in diffs), so in a tow rig I'd run the thick stuff.

Want to go with the best of all worlds? Use a synthetic gear oil, they run thinner and act thicker. But everything I have leaks too much and is taken apart too often to mess with expensive oil.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

6. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

Stephen, what NP205 was spec's for ATF? I just phoned my trans mechanic and was surprised to hear that, enough to check his books. All he could come up with was, depending on the temp range, either 140w, 90w, or engine oil. I'd actually be kinda keen on running ATF in my NP203 and NP205 but am really concerned about the bearings and gears disintegrating themselves rather quickly, particularly when I've just finished doing all the bearings in both cases. (Same vintage 4-spd manuals eat themselves really quickly, bearings, gears and all, when run on ATF.)

--Rob

7. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I pulled a NP205 from a 1988 V-30 Crew Cab that was running ATF. I don't know if it was factory, but the military (thats where I got it) were the ones doing the maintenance on it and thats what they had in it. Other than that I can't be of much help.

See Ya,
    Keith

<font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I checked a haynes, clymer and chilton manual, all say ATF for all t-cases past 1980, and they do recognize that they use a 205 till '91. My '83 helm manual doesn't give a spec for individual cases, but also specs ATF for all t-cases.
    I lost the seals between my TH700 and 205 at one point and actually filled the case so full it blew out the output seal, after that I just ran ATF for a while. About a year I think.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>