Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler guys, broken transmission housings...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 7, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Who has broken a transmission housing? I would think that the second crossmember with a doubler would remove the weight from the transmission housing, but seeing as I remember russ upgrading his due to previous breakage, I guess not. What do you think caused your breakage? I'm going with a TH350 in front of my doubler. My thought was whether I will need a bellhousing to transmission mount brace.

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Why not a TH400? If you are not going to have OD, you might as well have the strength. I think the way to go with the Doubler mounting is to have the Doubler adapter setup with two mounts and have the 203 adapter setup with a single mount in the center just to help distribute the weight; this is the way my Doubler is setup.

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

We did the doubler in my dads by running two mounts and crossmembers. There is one on the 203 and 205. My dad doesnt drive easy by any means and we havent had any problems. We also used OEM mounts for the t-case mounts and everything is tied together with a big belly skid.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm going to use 2 crossmembers, likely tie them together with a skidplate. The why a TH350, I have one(don't have any GM TH400s or 4x4 ones for that matter) and I couldn't easily locate a 32 spline 203, I have 2 27 spline ones just sitting for me to pick from. Originally I was planning on a 700R4 but was given a TH350 so I'm going to use that instead(got the 203 for the 700R4).

5. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I broke a TH400 housing. I have dual x-members too. I think the stock motor mounts were the culprit. I broke it from the governor gear up and over the top and down the other side. I have not broke my other blazer's 700/doubler setup (5yrs. now)and it has the stock motor mounts... :crazy: I was with Russ (Baddog) when he broke his, in a different place and let's just say he wasn't being nice to it. But he did get a ride by 3 trucks strapped together full throttle up the exit.. :D