Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doubler help, PLEASE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Apr 25, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Ok, may have a line on a 400 205 t-case. But, I need to know if it is the right one for use in a doubler set up. As I understand there is a long and a short.
    Does nayone know what years the "good" short one came in? Or does the year not matter?

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

There is a good link off of ORD's website that lists this, but if I remember correctly, the short 32 spline female was changed to the long about '85. So anything before 85 should be ok. Stay away from '84's, because they (like mine) have a slip yoke rear, which isn't the ideal setup for a trail rig.

3. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I can get a 205 from a 400, but it has the slip yoke.. that can be converted over to a fixed, right?

I have a 205 that is a fixed yoke. Cant I just swap them?

Thanks
    Ken H.

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

it should be a simple swap slip to fixed yoke

5. mnstr_fx

mnstr_fx Registered Member

Ken,

80' and newer were all slip yoke. 79' and older were fixed yoke. Converting from slip to fixed is cake. All you need to do is swap the rear nuget, (i.e. everything from the rear bolt pattern of the output carrier onto the main case of the 205) Find an old SM465 manual 205 or some other 205 and switch everything. The other difference is between the small bearing and big bearing on the input to the 205. You need the larger input bearing and female input shaft. This would also be an 80' or newer item.