Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doubler kit with a sm465 and how about a ranger overdrive thrown in the mix

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by camiswelding, Jul 14, 2003.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Steve...
    I am looking at your doubler kit.. currently have a sm465 with a 208 (81 K5)... I also wanted to have overdrive and the ranger seemed like the way to go... anyway.. think I could get them all to work seemlessly together??? would I have enough driveshaft length left over to be able to make one the wouldnt vibrate at all
    can you send me a quote for a 205/203 built from your shop??
    (I have a 203 if it was worth shipping back.. but I think not)I might see if it makes sense just to let you build it instead of building a junkyard 205 and doing the kit from you with my 203
    cam
    abstractmetal@earthlink.net

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I know you can make all the gearboxes work together, but I don't think you're going to have room to do it in a K5. As an alternative, you might look at running more of a "highway" gear so the 1:1 in the SM465 still does OK on the highway and then rely on the Doubler to take care of the offroad gearing. An example would be running 4.10's with some 37's. Of course how well this works for you depends on a bunch of other factors but that's the idea.
    The other thing to look at is how much gas you'd actually save with the added gearbox vs. how much it would cost to put it in. I looked at putting a Gear Vendors in a F350 we had and figured it would take at least 120K miles to pay it off, maybe more.
    So, take a close look at what it will do for you and if you actually need it. I think it's a good idea if you can afford the length, especially if you tow. Having what amounts to 8 forward highway usable gears would make towing a lot nicer with the SM465.

Baseline price for a complete Doubler setup would be about $2150. Options and shipping would add from there. That's for a rebuilt NP205, NP203, Doubler kit installed in the 203 and the 2 stick shifter.
    If you junkyard it, most guys spend about $1200, that's the Doubler kit, the input conversion for the NP205 and the 2 stick shifter. Other options of course go up from there.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions, let us know.

3. camiswelding

thanks stephen... and it was funny about the pto ports in the other post,,,
    Thanks for the tech advice and I realize thats a lot of parts together... we both know if payoff was even in the mix we probably shouldnt be driving K5s...certainly not ultramodified ones... for me its a fun pastime ( Im not a kid Im close to 50) and testing the limits of sano fabability is challenging as well... the other post said that a doubler set up is only as long as a stock 203.. which I found hard to believe,, but if that is true then the ranger, which is only 7.5 inches would work, as the driveshaft wouldnt be too short... I was actually thinking about a shifter mounted cable for the ranger... maybe have to build some kind of electric servo if I couldnt get a mechanical one to work smoothly (the truck has 4.56's in itand Im not running big tires but skinny rock tires)
    As to the doubler... I have a parts truck with a T350/model 205 in it and I have a loose 203 so perhaps I do have the parts around to build it... (but am I motivated enough)Ill try and read a little more about the doubler from your site but its always better to talk to you...
    What do you think is the shortest driveshaft that could work on a mildly lifted blazer.. I know I have seen some real shorties on some jeeps.. perhaps they aren't good on u joints on the street?
    The blazer currently has a 208 in it (excellent shape) should I consider keeping it... are there mods that are good for it?
    thanks for your time... and I do want you to know I will come to you first for parts... Im happy to support the little guy.. especially one who actually does the fabbing that Im interested in...
    Nice job on your truck.. I havent cut yet and still have a nice virgin rustfree california body but seeing yours finds my cutoff saw in my sweaty palms... but then thats another story...
    cam

4. Stephen

You're going to be cutting it close on the driveshaft, it comes down to angles more than length but we have customers running GEN1 Doublers with TH400's that are about that long and they make it work. If you can set up the drivetrain (slope it down a little) so the joints don't run with much angle on them, you'll be in good shape. You'll want to look at using a CV jointed shaft for sure, and use the shortest adapter between the SM465 and 203 (stock adapter is the shortest).

You have some of the parts you'll need so if you're willing to play with your 203 and 205 it'll save some cash, but there is a decent amount of work to be done. The 203 will need a new input gear to mate to the SM465, and the 205 will have to be cut out to fit the bigger input bearing.

The Doubler all together is the same as the NP203, mostly because the 203 is pretty long to start with. The Doubler is also shorter than a 208, so by the time you eliminate the long adapter between your 465 and 208, put in the Doubler, and add the Ranger OD, your driveshaft is going to be pretty close to the same as it is now.

Thanks

5. camiswelding

Stephen.. I talked to Jess at Hi angle driveline (hes closeby)... he said I would have enough room for a dd driveshaft that will work ok even that short... we will see
    cam

6. Stephen

I don't think you're going to be that far off, maybe a little bit worse than optimum but with the application of enough $$ you'll be able to make it work, no problem.
    Really though, just about any lifted K5 will have driveshaft problems of some sort requiring expensive non-stock solutions, so you're not doing to bad compared to the average.