Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler, Klune, or Atlas?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kmodi, Dec 12, 2005.

?

Klune? Doubler? Atlas?

Poll closed Dec 22, 2005.
  1. Klune

8.7%
  2. Doubler

69.6%
  3. Atlas

21.7%
  1. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

Wanting to do something with the t-case, which is the best way to go and why?

Atlas?

Doubler?

Klune?

Morris MTN..jpg

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

My call, doubler, regardless of brand. Klune would be the next choice, but prolly a bit more $$. Doublers are fairly cheap, as '203's (or even '241's if you go that route) are easy to come by.

Atlas cases are really expensive, and don't give you the middle gearing you get from a doubler unless you get the multi-gear one a la the Stax.

You also have the wheelbase in your truck that you don't hafta worry about length -- the Klune is very short, as is the Atlas, IIRC, being made for Jeeps.

-- A

3. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

Thanks for the input, as far as length goes i am looking for something a little longer to get better drive shaft clearance. Do you think a doubler is just as strong as a klune? would you rather have a doubler or a 208 and klune?

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As far as brute strength, I don't think that anything will hold up as well as a doubler setup. The 203 reduction section is just as strong as the 205 and I have heard of too many people having problems with atlas, klune, etc. in heavy rigs. Of course, I have no doubler or any of the aforementioned aftermarket transfer cases so take it for what it's worth.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

My vote goes without saying ;) The six-gun COMPLETE will only set you back about $2600 for a rebuilt 203 and 205, with the 3:1 kit in the 203. Hard to beat it :D

KP

6. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

KYLE, i have tried to look at the products on your website, but the page is not pulling up, can you email me a pdf of your catalog? i am also interested in chromo shafts 35 spline inners and outers with ctms, do you sell these too?

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

page's aren't pulling up? Damn, time to get back to work...

We're in the process of taking a large portion of our products into an online store/catalog system. Once that's done, I'll be able to send you all the info you need, untill then, hit me up with the questions and I'll answer them for you.

On shafts, we sell 4340 alloy shafts cut to what you are after. I don't THINK we are carrying the CTM's right now, but I'll double check...

KP

8. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

BTW, do you have Macromedia Flash installed on your system? may be why nothing is showing up.

Here's where things are going with the site, I'm adding content on a regular basis www.wagonermachine.com/catalog

9. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

the link you sent me works, thanks. what kind of clocking would i need to get the most clearance? what happens with the crossmember, custom?

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The most clearance, or THE MOST clearance :) 2" up should be more than enough for clearance. There's several things we could do to get it crammed damn near into your armpit if you wanted :) Flip the 203, rotate the 205 up etc... For Crossmember, you COULD make a factory x-member work, but in all honesty, make one. You'll likely have better clearance.

The MOST would put the output's of the 205 level, this makes it a bitch to get the front driveshaft to work, and you still have the 203 hanging lower. Flip the 203 and you get some room, but again, I've seen people that clocked them higher than they needed. The 205 is out of harms way, but the tranny pan is hanging low, know what I mean?

KP

11. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

i hear what you are saying! i just want to get it all stuffed enough that there is nothing hanging past the frame rails, would that be about 2"?

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I voted for what I'd most like to have. We will see what I say after I run the Doubler setup I presently have in my project.

13. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

For the money I would do the doubler, not to mention its also really strong.

14. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

I have the ORD doubler with the 2" upclock option,and I LOVE it. I would highly recommend it to anyone. I have a sb350 and th350 trans and I use 4:1 most of the time when crawling/trailriding. I would like to have the 6:1 ratio, but don't want to give up the 4:1. Too bad 1,4&6 wasn't possible.

15. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

do you have a pic of your doubler? i would like to see what the 2" upclock looks like.

16. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I've also got the ORD clocked 2".

First pic is from passenger side looking forward; the u-bolts you see are for the rear shaft. Only the first crossmember is in place for this shot, holding up the tranny adapter.

Second pic is from the driver's side, basically straight in; all three crossmembers are in place (one on the tranny adapter, one on the doubler proper, and the third to mount the skid plates on.)

-- A

clocked-case-1.jpg

clocked-case-2.jpg

17. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If I had the money I would go the doubler way.
    I have broke four 208:s and then put in a 205 in my M1008.
    Another option seems to be the Lo max 205 but that has only 3:1 and is about the same price as the doubler .

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  18. kmodi

kmodi Registered Member

LOOKS GREAT!! can it be clocked more to get more clearance? On my CUCV I only have 1 skidplate/Crossmember, would i have to add additional ones on for a doubler?

19. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

I ordered a Klune last friday, some of my friends have doublers so I just wanted to try someting different. Every shaft from trans. back is 32 spline so it should hold up good. I will keep everybody posted on how it holds up.

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think it depends on what parts you have on-hand... can get cheap etc. I am going doubler, because I have the parts I need to do so. If I didn't I would seriously consider a Klune-V + np205. Clock the 205 2 or 3 inches and run a twin stick and you'd have 1:1, 2:1, 2.7:1 or 5.4:1. Nice!

j