Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler or Atlas?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by wayne, Aug 17, 2003.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Well after last weekends UCP ride the one thing I noticed is the K5 needs more low range. Here is the current set up:
    350 tbi (stock)
    th400/241 SYE with Highangle 1350 CV shaft
    1 tons with Detroit in back with 4:10's
    37" MTR's

I put the 241 in for extra low range but it needs more. I don't want to step up in gears since this will cruise 70mph all day long with the th400. I built this for Donna but I feel extra low range will help her more then using the skinny pedal harder. Also it needs to be simple for her and that is why I'm thinking the Atlas might be a better choise over the Doubler but I do have a 400/203 and a 400/205 so I have the hard parts for the Doubler. Cost is somewhat of an issue but either way I need to keep it at $2500 or less for the total swap. Stephen, what's your input on this?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds to me like you could keep it under $1200.00 since you already have the transfer cases. You just need the doubler adapter and the shifters ($910.00) and some drive shaft mods. I doubt you are going to buy an atlas and do drive shaft mods for under $2500.00

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It sounds like the budget way is the Doubler, you have the hard parts taken care of so you won't need much more to make it happen. As for complexity, with the 2 stick shifter, it's the same # of sticks as the atlas and one of them will shift like a stock 205 (grumpy but a simple pattern) so I think that's as good as it gets. Even the 3 stick shifter isn't that hard if it's labeled.
    Your front driveshaft will use the same flange pattern so you can just re-tube it for the length, and you should be able to use the same yoke on the back of the Doubler so your rear driveshaft would just have to be shortened.
    Overall length should be close, the 241 is shorter but the adapter to the 241 is a bit longer so it's probably close to a wash. You'll probably still have to mess with the driveshaft but it'll be close.
    Hope this helps.

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Why not go with 5.13's? With the 700R4 and a 241 you will have almost the same crawl ratio as a 400/203/205 combo. Not to mention it will only cost about $600 if you do the gears yourself.

Edit: I thought you had a 700, but you have a 400. 4.88's or 4.56's would also help. 4.10's are not the ideal gearing for 37's, but it does help on the freeway.

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Edit: I thought you had a 700, but you have a 400. 4.88's or 4.56's would also help. 4.10's are not the ideal gearing for 37's, but it does help on the freeway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering the amount of traveling on the highway it does 4:10's was the way to go. I am fairly happy with it running the 4:10's. It is a little doggish in town but we drive 2 hours on the highway to some of our favorite wheeling areas and that was the reason for the gear choise. I figured from the beginning that if I was not happy with the low range performance I could do t case mods. Looks like I know what next years income tax is going to buy. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Go with the Atlas. They're much better than a Doubler.

(Just kidding Stephen.)

Like what was previously mentioned, since you already have the hard parts, you should probably go with the Doubler. Much cheaper and no more complicated than the Atlas. They both can be operated while intoxicated, so i'm sure it'll work out for ya.