Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doubler Q and TH400 input wanted

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jul 16, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

someone not on ck5 told me that a 203 isnt good anywhere after 300 TQ, and i wanted to use it in my doubler with between 500-600 TQ, can someone with experiance in this area give me some info on this

also anyone out there with a TH400 and doubler setup? what tires and gears do you have and whats your top speed /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I don't think that that torque rating is true for only the gear reduction portion of the 203. Stephen with ORD has a doubler in his blazer and a 468 motor with goodies that is putting out well over 300 ft/lbs. It lives just fine.
    Just call ORD for your 400 to doubler questions.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I agree with miniwally. The chain in the 203 is reportedly the weak link(pun). In the doubler configuration that is all gone.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'll be using that set up with a 455, then a custom built engine eventually. I don't have any input, but I'll be running 44's. Like the others said, the chain is the weakest link (goodbye) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Branndon, I had the TH400 and Doubler behind my TBI454 for years with no problems. For that matter, my 27 spline 205 behind the 203 hasn't broken yet either. I think my 454 has at least 300 TQ /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

BTW, my 400 and 203 are for sale /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif. See it here.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Like others have posted above - the gear box portion of the NP-203 is just fine for serious torque . Look at the contact surface and the thickness of the gears and you will have confidence in the strength of the range box.
    It is highly unlikely that you will ever have a problem with the range box if it is in good shape to begin with .
    Put all the torque that you can get to it and don't worry.
    HTH , Tom

7. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    I agree with miniwally. The chain in the 203 is reportedly the weak link(pun). In the doubler configuration that is all gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya I will have to concur..

any body want to see what a shattered 203 chain looks like /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif