Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler Questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by TopOff, Mar 18, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I wanted to see if I have all this right.

Should I be looking for a sm465 with a 32 spline input? Or did they all have a 10 spline input? Will this REALLY matter, provided the 10 spline is in good shape?

Or am I all messed up and the differences are regarding the output 10 spline vs 32 spline?

I have a th350/203 in my Blazer now. I also have a th400/205.

I would like to get a sm465/203 setup and all the pedals. I have a line on one from a junkyard. But I would like to know if I should be going for a 32 spline input sm465. If so, what years did these come out of?
    Can I convert the sm465 10 splien to the 32 spline before I go and buy a clutch?

I think I read on ORD's site the th350/203 and the sm465/203 can use the same driveshafts? Correct?

If so, then the doubler is the same length as the 203 tailshaft. Hence the rear driveshaft will not need to be shortened? Correct?

Lastly, what else should I get, or do I need to get, to mate this 203/ and 205 together?

BTW: the th350/203 will go in another truck.

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to do it right the first time.

TIA
    Nick

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

With the 465/203 connection, look at 3 things:
    Length - the 208 adapter with the 32 spline output shaft will end up about 4" longer than a factory 465/203 setup with the 10 spline shaft.

Strength - the 32 spline is stronger and more durable than the 10. But the 10 spline doesn't exactly fall apart when you push on the gas and for a lower powered recreational type truck that won't see more than a few thousand miles a year it's probably fine.

Availability - The 32 spline 465 is a bit harder to find than a 10 spline, maybe. BUT, the 208 adapter housing is way easier to come across. You can buy it at the dealer if you so desire! So the 32 wins in availability.

If you have a TH350/203 in the truck now, the 465/Doubler will be basically the same length as what you have, IF you use the factory 465/203 adapter housing. If you use the longer NP208/465 adapter housing your overall will be 4" longer than you are now.

Keep in mind we're talking about the output of the 465, the inputs are the same in 465's.

This may not be exactly what you're looking for but I think it answers your questions, if you need more let me know and we'll work on it more.

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

When I talk about the input shaft, I mean the side from the clutch. So is there differences from the 32 spline and the 10 spline on the input side? Or the output side?

I just want to see what I should try to get from the J-yard.

TIA
    Nick

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Only on the output, inputs should be the same for all the output types.