Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doubler ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Dec 21, 2004.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i know that a 205/203 doubler allows you to have an insane low... but what do you use gearing that low for? is it helpful to go through mud? or just rock crawling? or what?

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya know in the old fourm the search diddent work well and i never used it but now it works hella good, i recomend you search fist and than if you dont find the info your lookin for , than try a post:) :xmas:

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A doubler is not really a muddin kind of tcase setup. It is for slow speed stuff like rock crawling. Mud running you usually use higher gears and big horsepower for.

You can mud with a doubler but you would only use 1 or the 2 lowranges. Then when you rockcrawl you use both low ranges. The doubler if pretty versitile and strong. If you don't do any slow speed wheeling where you need control and deep gears the doubler is probably a waste of time.

Harley

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i tried

maybe i failed? i was seeing things on how they work and all but no titles for what they are used for. also being busy and being multi tasked may have over shot the particular post i needed to see. my appologigies

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

awww nothin to apoligize for man just offering a little advice, that(dubbler), next to the 1 ton swap has to be one of the most covered subjects on this site:waytogo: :xmas:

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

as i thought

i am thinking about a "tractor" project involving tractor tread as maybe a rig to use around the woods where i will build next year. the tires usually are not high speed as far as i know. but i was wondering about the actual uses for a doubler. i was wondering if maybe the torque added would be good for maybe hauling logs out, or something. but also was thinking about having this as a double duty rig for working in woods and play... not much for rock faces where i am... :thinking:

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I was tossed with a similar decision last summer, "do I need a Doubler?" Most of the terrain around here is all mud and really not much to crawl on. I am wanting to broaden my horizens and do some of the more crawling-ish type riding (like in Tellico, etc) so I figured it would help.

TARussell and I were talking about it and he brought up a good point that the lower ratio can be utilized for winching and such when minimal tire speed is important. Not to mention the fact it can dramatically increase the pulling power of a truck.

In the end, I bought one (specifically an ORD unit). I figure it will make my new project much more versitale allowing me to experience more of the wheeling world. :thumb:

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Lets you run stock gearing with big tires for good highway economy, yet still be able to get it awn offroad.

Seems cheaper than re-gearing both axles to the hilt, then having to upgrade to an OD trans and fight with making it fit & function with the t-case you have.

9. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:thinking:

a couple very good points there. i think that doublers are so cool. but still that doesnt mean i need one. decisions decisions :thinking:

10. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

im building my truck with the 'better to have it and not need it than to nee dit and not have it" thery, kinda expinsive, but i should have a badarse rig when compleate:xmas: :xmas:

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

good one

wish i could afford that method id do the same :haha:

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

man i cant afford it eaither, it takes me a long ass time to do it, im doing it from the ground up, so i got my 1 ton's now, it will be finish bumpers, rims tires, driveshafts,x-fer case, tranny engine, and all teh little stuff inbetween:xmas:

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I could not agree more with "surpip's" statement ! That is the main reason why I bought my ORD Doubler - I see many situations where it will be a benefit , some of it is mudd usage but not usually . I decided it was better to have control on the trail via serious gear ratio so I can choose the speed ( or lack of ) when learing how to crawl on the rocks.The last thing that made me get one was just as U2SLOW said - I have the choice of going with less gear in the diff's and still have serious overall gear .
    A Doubler is also a put it in and forget about it upgrade - it is strong and very durrable . They are a chunk of cash but IMHO it's worth it.
    Tom