Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doubler shifters in pickup

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Mar 25, 2007.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

will the normal triple stick shifters work, or will i have to have custom ones made so they wont be in the way of the bench seat? any pics or info would be great. thanks

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No pics, but the Blazer that I was gonna get had triples, with buckets they were in between, little to the left of center. If it had bench would have hit. Might have to move them forward some, but the stock shifter doesn't hit,why not run them next to the stocker?? What I plan on doing.....someday....

3. muddybuddy

the doubler already has nwf triple stick shifters on it, would i have to get them bent forward more or something so they wouldnt hit the bench? or will i have to just run buckets seats? anybody else?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Uhoh, come to think of it, that may affect my plans for a bench in my K5. :doah: 'Course, I'm thinking totally custom, mounting the bench to the cage, etc, so I'll have room to work with ... but still a good point.

Anyway, the rods could be bent easily enough. Stick them in a vice and put a pipe on them for leverage, maybe apply some heat... doable.

EDIT: Duh ... also matters what tranny you have. My TH350 is nice and short; if you had a 700R4 in there, which is longer, IIRC, the shifters would be correspondingly farther back.

*Assuming* that the bench doesn't sit farther forward than the buckets, at least on my truck with the TH350, I should be okay, though I may put a 15-20* bend in mind when the time comes, just to get the shifters out of the center passenger's crotch :haha:

See http://www.slosh.com/ck5/triple-stick-vs-seats.JPG

The left two shifters (far side in this pice) are in the rearmost position. The right hand (closest) shifter is in the middle position.

-- A

5. muddybuddy

the tranny is going to be a 4L80E nice and long:doah: hopefully a bend will be enough to make it work. the current setup (400/205) the stock 205 shifter is very close to the bench as it is:mad:

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Karnak The Invincible sees some serious bending in those shifters' future =))

I think bend 'em right at the base, maybe 30-45* in your case... might hafta bend the ends back so the knobs fit your hand okay.

Eww, that sounds like sig material right there :haha:

The PITA with the pickup cab is you can't just move the seat back... I'll be able to do that a bit, though my '74 has the high rear floor, so I don't have that much room to play with.

-- A

7. muddybuddy

yea its going in an '85. well looks like ill get them bent at the bottom and then bend them back up towards the middle of the shifters. wish poeple had some pics, so id have a rough idea how far back the shifters are going to be with a bench

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here is a pick of the trip sticks in my Jimmy...with the seat in the background for reference.

[​IMG]

This is behind the NV4500 which isn't exactly a short tranny.

Rene