Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler shifting problems?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camok5, Jan 29, 2006.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I took my doubler (twin stick) out 4wheeling for the first time and I am having problems with the shifters (ord). For some reason the 203 shifter will not stay in 4low, I'll start a climb and it will pop out of gear even if I hold the shifter in place. Also my 205 shifter wont come out of gear unless I roll back and fourth a bunch while yanking on it. I already tried adjusting both shifters but it didnt change. Is there something else I can do or do I need to buy new rails? The other little problem I am having is that they wont go back into gear while in neutral unless the engine is off and my tranny doesnt like going back into park while the truck is still running (grinds the gears)?

2. camok5

nobody???

3. M-1028

M-1028 1/2 ton status

Are your cases recently rebuilt, my newly rebuilt 205 is real hard to shift but it is gradually getting better. Just try to shift it on level ground, in neutral and don't hit the brakes, that works the best for me. As for the 203 not staying in low mabey check your motor and t case mounts to see if there worn out. My 208 did it really bad until I changed motor mounts.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Yah but 208s have shifters mounted on the body and 203s have the shifter mounted on the adapter so with a 203, if the tranny and motor are tossing around, the stick would just move with them. My old suburban had a 241 and I had problems with the shifter always jumping out of 4hi when I jumped it. A minor inconvenience I know but I finally realized the shifter was mounted on the body and everything twisting around caused it to pull the t-case out of gear.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Unless it's moving enough to hit the stick on the hole where it goes through the body.

6. camok5

Hitting the body is not the problem because there is plenty of clearance. Also shifting on level ground is not always an option when your offroading (the doubler has been rebuilt but that was a while ago).

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The 205 will always be a PITA to shift. Twin stick or not, they get bound really easy. The 203 should work no matter what. Chances are that one of the shifter pivots or linkages are rubbing the 203 pivot/linkage causing the pop out.

8. camok5

Will putting new rails in the 205 help at all? Also is there anything internal in the 203 that might cause it to pop out because I have checked the linkage?

9. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

id pull the 203 and take it apart. There is a shifter fork that could be damaged. All it needs is a nick in the right spot on the fork and it will not hold the gear. The 205 sounds normal that t-case is hard to shift from the factory use 80w90 for the gear oil because 85w140 made it shift even worse on my last truck. I hate to hear this problem as im in to the same project with same parts and would hate to take it all apart again.

10. camok5

I realllly hope I dont have to take it all apart again, I think i'll try messy with the linkage some more just in case. I am running 80w90 already, but does anybody know if new rails in the 205 would help the shifting?

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

You're just gonna have to deal with the 205. Mine is exactly the same way. I have the doubler with ORD triple stick. It's ALWAYS a bitch to get the 205 out of 4wd. New rails aren't going to help.

As for the 203, I don't have that problem at all. Mine shifts like a new car. it actually kinda wierded me out when I first got it installed, it seemed too smooth. Anyways, I haven't looked at mine in a bit, but isn't there a detent or somthing that can be adjusted without taking it apart?:confused:

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

My 203 used to pop out on the street (that sucked), I just did a bungie cord on the shifter. Then all of a sudden it stopped popping and all has ben great. There is a notched cam/lever deal inside the 203 that locks the shifter in each position (H-N-L). You can disasemble the whole thing and grind the nothces a little deeper in the cam for a firmer shift, bit it is a lot of work.

13. camok5

So I found what I think might be part of the problem. When I was adjusting the shifters I had the ring that holds the shifter boot off and didnt realize that when I put it back on the shifters hit it when they are all the way foward and back. Is there anything I can do to fix this because the shifters have to much throw to fit inside the ring without hitting it? I tried adjusting them to make it work and even bent one of the shifters but no luck.

14. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Did you fix the 203 shifter? I dont have the doubler, but I have a twin stick shifter on my stock 203 and I have trouble geeting it to go into low, and once its in low, It pops out easily. Help?

15. camok5

All I ended up doing was grinding down the shifter boot ring in the places were the shifters were hitting it. I think the reason its hitting is because my doubler is not tucked up against the tranny tunnel as much as everybody else. I didnt want to cut into the tunnel or bash the body up but I think I need to do something because my doubler is still hanging down lower than I want it to.

16. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Thanks man, I'll do that tomorrow. I'm going to tellico on Fri and cant be without low! After doing seach, it seems like most of 203 shift problems come from the shifter hitting the body or the linkage being out of adjustment.

17. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I always have to "bump" it opposite of the direction I am traveling, then quickly shift to neutral in the trans, then change gears in my NP205. It doesn't always work, but most of the time it does. I do front digs alot and it is the same deal, when I have to kick the rear out.