Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler triple stick project update (Pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Well, finally got the doubler triple stick setup finished on the interior. After swapping in a 700r4 to replace the TH350, I then did the ORD NP205/NP203 in the 76 Blazer.

[​IMG]

The first problem I ran into was the crossmember. After going around and around on the solution, I ended up talking Joe, aka Kid Jethro, into selling me one he wasn't using.

[​IMG]

I installed this crossmember and sure enough, the monster CV that came on my new HAD 42 degree 1410 yoked drive shaft was too big and it hit the top part. So I removed the crossmember to work on it.

[​IMG]

I pulled it, cut the top off about an inch down, and welded in an additional inch to raise the top. I had to notch it so it would clear the tranny pan. I reinforced the top and sides just to be safe. I reinstalled the crossmember and we were good to go. The next issue I ran into was the center transmission hump. Seems the doubler adapter was pushing up against the sheet metal. Out comes the sawzall.

[​IMG]

But it isn't just the adapter that is hitting, when I go to install the triple stick parts, they are going to be jammed up against the tunnel as well. More cutting ensues.

[​IMG]

I finally get it all installed, but what to do about the holes? Well, I have a MIG welder, but I really don't trust my sheet metal welding skills. Time for a professional to step in. I go over to California Reflections, a local body shop, and chat up Kevin. Seems he just ordered a tone of sheet metal specialty tools to do an antique car restoration so my timing was just right. I have him fab up a nice setup for a reasonable price. The center section still comes off, and the clearance is perfect. Since I am going to cover the whole thing in Line-X soon, I wasn't that worried about aesthetics. But it still came out pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, the knobs are from WFO. And, another thing I was able to track down is that Dupli-Color Truck, Van, and SUV Dark Blue T148 paint is an exact match to Catalina Blue, which is the stock color on my Blazer. You have to check the T number on the paint. I found there are many dark blues, but the T number differentiates which dark blue. I also found that the earlier Blazers have a much narrower tranny hump and therefor sheetmetal modification is a must. The later model rigs have a wider hump and the plate that ORD supplies is a bolt on.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Nice work. When I get my doubler in I want everything clocked up as high as possible without a body lift and will have to cut my floor up to make it work.

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Your K5 is a 1976, right? If so, that gives me a good idea as what to expect for doubler clearance.

BTW, looks nice, I like the sheet metal work. Very clean.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

do you have it clocked at all or stock? looks real good

5. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On my 81 I had to cut some too, not as much because I have a body lift. I like the cover you got made, it looks alot better than the one I made!!

6. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Those turned out nice! Thats how I want to run mine, with no body lift. Looks good.

7. Desert Rat

I went stock clocking because if you clock it up, you put even more angle on the front driveline. As it is, I had to go with a 42 degree CV with 1410 yoke from HAD and the angles still aren't great.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Acha! I was wondering about that plate ... I even asked Stephen, and basically got a :confused: from him =))

I lucked out, having a TH350 which is so much shorter then. :D [Inside joke: that TH350 is DesertRat's old one, as my previous one emitted ALL of its magic smoke, so it was easier to put his in than try and put the smoke back into mine :haha: ]

- A

9. Desert Rat

I didn't even have to use any bondo on mine! :D But, mine will be covered in Line-X so I didn't have to sweat the small stuff as much.

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

:P Mine's bedlined too, but I betcha you spent more than ten bucks on it.

OTOH, I prolly took ten hours :doah:

C'est la vie.

-- A

11. Desert Rat

I'm hoping though that the Line-X is more knee friendly than the Herculiner. I had Herculiner on my Bronco tailgate and it was painful to get in and out.