Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler Twin Stick owners, do you get bind?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Do any of you get shifter bind when under a load or twisted up a little on the trail? I can shift mine most of the time but occaisionally, it will bind up and not allow me to get just the front engaged. Meaning, I can be in low low 4wd with the Auto tranny in neutral, then try to shift the rear into neutral and it sometimes will not pop out of gear. I even try reverse real quick and back to neutral - still no dice. The linkage is all adjusted properly and does allow for misalignment. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem.

2. FWP

FWP CRS

Yup /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Same situations. Not much you can do, but unload the tension on the driveline. Which sucks if you're in a precarious spot.

3. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Neil,

I experience the same problem on occasion. Usually, just when everything is under a load. Really didn't have that problem on the outig to Fulton though. Everything was nice and slippery.

4. Mudzer

Well, it worked great with exception of when I was "wedged" on Sunday drive. I did get it to kick out once, but later tried it again to no avail!

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

Is it just the pressure on the tires through the drivetrain putting pressure on the doubler shifter forks so much that you can't move them?

6. Mudzer

Sure is. The t-case does not bind on the body anywhere, so I know its not that issue. Linkage is all adjusted tightly but moves freely on level and in most offroad situations.

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

This is standard, I usually have to shift to reverse, then back to "N" to get the rear to come out. Guys with ARB rears can sometimes unlock the rear diff to take some bind off of it but that doesn't really apply to any of us 14FF types.