Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler vs. Atlas

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Art'74, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of planning the build on a K5. As the title indicates I am trying to decide what type of x-fer case to use. :confused: I have seen discussion on a doubler here but none that I can remember on Atlas' in K5's (or anything else for that matter).

Just to advise the drivetrain plans so far: FI454, 400, hi-pinion 60 front, 14bff rear, 39.5" Iroks and still not sure of gear ratios yet.

So, those with real world experience, please provide your thoughts on pros & cons of a doubler vs. an Atlas. :bow:

Also, if anyone knows the weight difference between the two choices, I would appreciate that info. and your thoughts on whether that difference matters. :bow:

Thanks, Art

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I dont have either one, but in general the pros/cons are...

doubler: heavier, longer, more gear options, cheaper if you have the tcases and put it together yourself.

atlas: lighter, shorter, less gear options, more expensive.

j

3. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

Anyone else have any comments or input? :confused:

Art

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

doubler has 10k + rated components in it... ask atlas how much they are rated for. i have yet to hear a solid single answer from them...

like said before, multiple ratios with the double. i have one, its not installed and i couldnt use it anyway as i need an engine. i thought about an atlas. get the ratio in the 4's area and ya have great rock crawling ration. get the one in the 3's and mud is good.

what abouta guy like me who like to do both? doubler was for me. front wheel drive double low.. hmm.. rear wheel drive low/double low... or all 4.

options with the doubler are great.

i just wish ORD would lower the price.... :rolleyes:
    Grant

5. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

as far as low go's, your tranny and your diffs are a factornot just the t-case. The doubler is cool but it's big, awkward, and chain driven. But you get what you can afford! I'm saving for an ATALAS :saweet:

6. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Where is the chain ?

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats right you dont use that part sorry :doah:

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you ONLY do hard core, low speed, rock crawling, then the Atlas will work just as good as a Doubler. Of course, this assumes that the Atlas doesn't break. :rolleyes:

If you do lots of different types of wheeling, then the Doubler gives you more options. 2:1 low range is just fine for most off-roading. You really don't need the 4:1 very often. The ability to "upshift" from 4:1 to 2:1 gives the Doubler a huge advantage in versatility for multiple terrains.

9. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Dude, do you have any idea how a double works or what is inside a NP205. There are NO chains in a doubler set up. The NP203 chain case is thrown in the garbage and you use just the reduction box which is gear driven just like the NP205.
    NOOBIE.

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Settle down, he was already called out politely and figured it out for himself.

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Let's not forget the 3:1 gearing for the which case is it?? Anyway, 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 or 6:1. Awesome! Serious coin also but the 3:1 doesn't have to be done from the get go.

12. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

wms makes the 3to1 kit for the 203.

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

There are pro's and cons for both.

Pro's for Atlas:
    light
    makes for a long rear DS
    has a good low gear

Pro's for doubler:
    Different gearing options
    Makes for a long front DS if you have 52's up front or more
    Probably will be chgeaper in the end

Con's for Atlas:
    Front DS becomes stupid short. i have a buddy with one and his front DS is 32" long and he has his atlas clocked flat. the ONLY front DS that has worked is the 42* CV from HAD and thats along with turning his D60 pinion 12* up :eek1:
    Not as many gearing options as a doubler

Con's for doubler:
    HEAVY
    rear DS might be a little on the short side if you have a short WB.

So in the end I say if you are not worried about weight go with a doubler. If you are go with a Atlas.
    My .02

14. Art'74

Art'74 1/2 ton status

Thanks all! :bow:

The input is much appreciated. :D

Sorry I did not include what the use of the truck would be. Just FYI; I mainly rockcrawl as that does effect the decision process. I'll do better next time at including all of the info. for answers. :doah:

Art

15. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I'm that buddy with the Atlas. I can justify it in a thousand ways (to myself). Sure I had front driveshaft issues but I choose to have those issues by clocking the Atlas flat. I also choose to have it as short as it is. I also have many gearing options because I built the trans with a manual valve body. I had the cases to build a doubler and then I thought, where will I be in 2 years with this K5? The answer was, I won't be in a K5 cause I am going to wheel it until the body falls off the frame (only 2 body mounts away :D ) and then build a lighter smaller buggy (this winter, it only took 1 year). That's another place where the Atlas comes in handy. :wink1:

For me it was the best choice as my K5 is for technical rock crawling only. Mud is too damn messy :tongue1: