Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doubler with a 4l60e?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nicks 72, May 23, 2005.

1. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

Has anyone heard of or done a drivetrain using a doubler and a 4l60e transmission? Myquestion/concern(s) isnt with the actual bolting up as it should be the same as with a 700r4 but with the speed sensor. I think the 4l60e in a 4wd needs a speed sensor to be in the tranfer case and was wondering if you could get a 205 to take a speed sensor or if theres some other way.
    Thanx Nick

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it can be done & u can retro fit a vss into your 205. some 205's came w/ a vss in the ealy 90's for sure, but i bet there are later models too

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

'90-91 GM 205 runs the VSS in the output shaft housing, I *think* maybe the later Dodge 205's did too, but apparently the Dodge guys don't have anyplace as cool as CK5 to share that info on. I tried searching for later Dodge 205 info online myself and came up with nothing concrete.

'90-91 241 from one of our trucks would be the only other VSS t-case we could use in a typical application I think.

4. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

You can get a VSS sensor and mount it in the t-case adapter housing. Then buy a reluctor ring from JTR and mount it on the output shaft. I had to do this to get my engine/tranny running with a np208 that I have now.
    Well crap....this depends if it a 96-99 vortec or the older TBI. I think they each use a different VSS signal. I still have my under dash, hooked to the speedo cable VSS generator that was used with the TBI on my truck. Not sure how hard this would be to re-use or if it even still works!

For physically mounting the t-case to the adapter house, just find a np203 from a 350 and have the face drilled/tapped for the round 6 bolt pattern.

Mike

5. dyeager535

Did you mount the ring up at the case or down at the axle?

I thought about this one, but IIRC JTR's website shows it at the axle, which I think would be a bad idea on a truck.

6. 87GMCJimmy

At the axle?? That does sound really bad!. I drilled and tapped a hole in the t-case adapter and mounted the ring to the output shaft of the tranny. The drilling/tapping didn't go as smooth as I would have like b/c of the double wall of the adapter so I had to use some epoxy to hold the sensor in. God help me if the sensor goes bad! Someone with skills should be able to do a much better job.

Mike

7. dyeager535

Oh ok, I'm thinking of the external ring setup they came up with. IIRC the application picture made me think it was on an S10. Bolted to the housing somehow.

Here's the instructions for it: yoke mounted actually

So on your setup in 4wd low you don't get an accurate VSS reading (double what vehicle is actually doing) if I understand your installation correctly.

8. Nicks 72

Nicks 72 Registered Member

So you guys are saying to drill and tap the factory adapter. The one I have right now for my doubler which has a 700r4 in front of it is the 1 inch cast iron for turbo 350 to 203,and I have the short shaft conversion in the 700r4.Would this one work or is it to thin? If it wont I would need to use one from a 700r4 or 4l60e to 208/241 and drill my 203 for it to bolt up? Maybe I should use a 4l80e because they have the speed sensor in the transmission body itself but I would like the lower first of the 4l60e.Do they make a mechanical gear speedo/to electronic speed sensor converter? that would be nice if somebody did. Thanx for all youe help. Nick

9. dyeager535

Yeah, check out jagsthatrun.com, they make/seel all sorts of VSS stuff. Big section on VSS.

With any of the VSS setups, you need to know what the *driveshaft* RPM is, not tranny output. If it were car no problem, transmission output is fine, but in a 4wd vehicle, you need the transfercase output, as transmission output shaft RPM is not *driveshaft* RPM when in 4 low.

10. 87GMCJimmy

I run mine off of the trasmission output and not the driveshaft speed. The Vss is mainly use for torque converter locked managment(It's not a simple on/off on my 99). I have never noticed any problems when in 4lo or set and codes.

Mike

11. dyeager535

Paragraphs 2, 3, and 4.

Lack of VSS or incorrect VSS signal causes problems for some, others say they don't notice it. I suspect much less of an issue with a (rarely) incorrect signal since 4wd low is used by most so rarely.

I *do* know that if I need to idle over an obstacle, downhill in snow/mud, or whatever, and my idle starts going wacky on me, it's likely to cause some SERIOUS problems.