Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doubler???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Aug 17, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

does anyone else besides ORD make a doubler?? I have a 205 and 203 but they want like 700 bucks! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I mean seriously am I missing something or does that sound kinda high for just an aluminum adaptor plate some gaskets and hardware and an output shaft...I mean really?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A number of companies make something similar to a doubler, the doubler is Watson's trademark.

Either way I'd say $700 is a steal for all the engineering required to make that adapter stay together under the stresses of four wheeling.

3. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Wagner machine shop sells one, pretty much same price, different construction. Stazworks sells one also, its quite a bit cheaper but is sort of a do it yourself weld together kit, and as I understand it you are on your own to design and construct the mounting foot. I guess that could be good or bad depending on your fabrication skills and needs.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

As fwdjunky stated Stazworks makes a similar product cheaper but cheaper does not equal better. At approx $450 the Stazworks unit looks really good... at first. Then you figure he does not include hardware (ORD does), his shaft is not hardened (ORD's is) and he does not offer a shifter kit (of course, ORD does).

I did a lot of research before I bought my Doubler from ORD last month and I can say without hesitation that the ORD kit is worth the money. The quality of the product far exceeds the cost. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Ultimately you have to remember, you get what you pay for.

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    his shaft is not hardened (ORD's is)I did a lot of research before I bought my Doubler from ORD last month and I can say without hesitation that the ORD kit is worth the money. The quality of the product far exceeds the cost. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Ultimately you have to remember, you get what you pay for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? As far as I was told both the ORD shaft and the Stazworks shaft are both just shortened and resplined factory 203 shafts? I know the Stazworks one is, and I would imagine that it is hardened from the factory???

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

It was my understanding that the ORD version was the only one that eleminated (sp?) the Factory Transfercase adapter making it shorter and one less mechanical connection.

7. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The ORD shaft is a custom made shaft for them and them only. It is good S$it. The last I heard Stazworks is resplining old shafts that have been cut down. The problem with this as I understand it is that the resplining process cuts through the hardening. This is why ORD started having there own shaft made.
    Compare what the kits come with and how much work you may have to do that is included in other kits before you say which one is the best value.

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Im still waiting for the gen 1 ORD doubler to come back /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

hmmm...maybe 700 aint sounding too bad /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I guess when I factor in that I got my 203 for free, then I cant really complain if its only 700 to have a 110:1 crawl /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think its a good price considering the time and care that goes into making them /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have looked at just about EVERY way to not spend the $700.00 plus dollars for a dual transfer case set up but quality suffers or the cost of machine shop labor will exceed what ORD has to offer .
    I would look at what the other kits offer and compare them to Mr. Watson's stuff - don"t take what folks think they offer - talk top each manufacture in person and make your descision after you have compared apples to apples .
    For what it is worth , after all my searching I am ordering my ORD Doubler this week and I am very confident that I am spending my hard earned money on GOOD parts that work as advertised. ORD is the quality that I am looking for and that is where my money is being spent /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.
    Good luck in your search.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Stazworks sells one also, its quite a bit cheaper but is sort of a do it yourself weld together kit, and as I understand it you are on your own to design and construct the mounting foot. I guess that could be good or bad depending on your fabrication skills and needs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan had nothing but problems with this arrangement, you're on your own to fabricate a crossmember as well, and in the end, he destroyed a perfectly good TH 400 case.