Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

doug thorley headers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by raymos, Apr 1, 2007.

1. raymos

raymos Who?

i just wanted to know if any body else has ever had any problems with doug thorley headers cracking/breaking? im on my second set and well they are cracked again:mad: i cant handle this s*** any more. if any body has any suggestions or ideas that would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Two suggestions:

#1 - Is this on a truck that you "wheel"?? If so and you have a lot of frame twist, and don't have any flex hangers on your exhaust setup, any twist in the frame is going to twist the exhaust and put a LOT of leverage against the headers and flange area. Even the best quality headers in the world will crack if there is no "give" in the rest of the exhaust system.

#2 - Doug Thorley sold his company and started a new one called "Dougs Headers"..... I don't know if maybe the company that bought Doug Thorley Headers still makes the same quality headers that were originally made....but sometimes that is a risk. I know that when Art Carr sold his name and transmission business, there were a lot of complaints about the poor quality and customer service. Now if you want a real "Art Carr" transmission, you have to know to go to California Performance Transmissions (his new company) to get one.

A couple points to consider anyway...... :thinking:

For what it's worth, I run a set of Doug Thorley 304-Ys on my K5, and they have been great....no leaks or cracks.

3. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I have a set that started shedding the ceramic coating and rusting shortly after I put them on. This happened before I even started the vehicle and it isn't like salt was a factor since I was in Oklahoma at the time. I won't put out the money for that brand again.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

FWIW, I put a set of Thorley's on about 3 years ago, and othe than retorquing the bolts once, I've had no poblems, at all. I do mild wheeling, not a lot of flex time, but a LOT of vibes.

5. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

my thorley's have been on for about a year, i love them

6. raymos

raymos Who?

when i had my buddy run the exhaust he put some rubber mounts on it so i think it probably has some flex in the system. the second set i put on cracked after maby a week and a half or two weeks of only street driving (no wheelin trips). they are not cracking at the flanges it is whare the 4 tubes merge into 2 on the passenger side. the first set completely broke in 2 pieces. i will also never purchase or even recomend thorleys ever again. also really bad customer service.