Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, May 26, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

My gramps owns an 84 K5 with CA emmisions. Both manifolds are warped and leak really bad. After talking to the dealer about new ones, and the cost to have them installed, (yes I know you can get them at pic-n-pull for cheap- Gramps likes new stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif) I convinced him that some quality headers would be a good way to go. Anyone have any experience with the Tri-Y headers from Doug Thorley? They list a part # for CA smog legal headers for his truck- something like $519.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I'm curious if anyone has any info on them. Do they come with everything you need to bolt them to the existing stock exhaust system? Will it require a trip to town with straight headers to have things re-routed? Thanks......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I put Tri-Ys on my '75 about 5 years ago - they are the sh*t. No problems whatsoever.

When I got them I had to get bolts, gaskets, and modify my exhaust - they will not bolt up in place of the stock e. manifolds.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmm..Cool. Thanks for the info. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Joe, if you are in Sac, Tognotti's used to have a set on display. They are really thick, and you can tell well made. I wouldn't buy them there, but just to check em out, because they always want more money then anyone else. I wanted to get a set, but went with Edelbrock ones because they were $250 less. They aren't as thick, but they work for me...

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

how much of the header can you see from the outside of the truck?(like when you look at the truck from the side)

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Any full length header is going to require a rework of the exhaust system. But you can buy shorty headers that will bolt in directly in place of the factory manifolds. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The trick is finding them for older rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The Edelbrock TES setup comes with a crossover pipe that will fit right up to the factory cat. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

i have a set of tri-y'son my 85 sub with a 350. i ran them open for about 4-5 miles and they were louds as hell. they are petty nice and are made right. you can only see a little of them unless you have body lift.

8. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    After talking to the dealer about new ones, and the cost to have them installed, (yes I know you can get them at pic-n-pull for cheap- Gramps likes new stuff /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)
    I convinced him that some quality headers would be a good way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If gramps isn't convinced as to the value of new in this instance tell him of my trouble I had. I went the reverse of you all. I had to pull my non air injected headers off and chose to grab manifolds from pic-n-pull. Bad choice, one bolted right on the other was warped enough to not fit, three manifolds later (read:three trips for manifolds later) I got one put on with no guarantee not to leak and sure enough, two days later the gasket slips and is now leaking. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif If you have the money for those headers do it dude. If nothing else, get new manifolds ($129 from LMC) just to avoid the headache!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just my humble opinion of course!

[ QUOTE ]
    Will it require a trip to town with straight headers to have things re-routed? Thanks......... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to have some work done to the exhaust to make the new set up work. Good luck in whatever you choose, and if I can help at all just let me know. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

They are one of the best hings on my K5. I have them on my 72. They came with gaskets, bolts and collectors and they fit PERFECTLY!! I just had to modify the clutch z bar.

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I bought a pair of the #304-Y for my K5 that I am putting a 454 in...I have not fired the engine, but as far as fit these things rock...the drivers side was perfect, no mods, the pass side required removal of the bumpstop that hits the diff. casting on the pumpkin (only 4 bolts to remove) If you have TBI, the Knock sensor is pretty close to the header and requires some, um, creative installation /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifBut they look real sweet....

Chris