Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Doug's Headers install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Also titled, "Ah the sound of open headers in the morning"

Some of you might recall (not) a while back I posted asking what to do about installing some new headers and having them hit the right rear spring shackle. Well, problem solved. I dry fit them first and found that the right side rear collector was hitting the ORD shackels. I called Doug's Headers and spoke to the tech guy. His first suggestion was to jack up the engine and see if I could move it around in the engine mounts just enough to get the header moved over, then tighten it down. Sounds like a PITA, but I had another project to do that required exactly this, so I did it. I needed to install those brackets under the engine mounts that allow you to install the tranny support rods on the 700r4 anyway. So, first I get the cherry picker out, lift the engine, install all the parts, apply pressure to the right header away from the shackle, then lower it back down and tighten it all down again. No help

Second suggestion took me by surprise. The instructions say something to the effect that if the header doesn't fit, don't mess with it, send it back. But, the tech said they don't vary and if mine doesn't fit, then another set wouldn't either. His next recommmendation was to put something in the header and bend it over. So, that is exactly what I did. I got a length of galvanized steel pipe 2 inches in diameter and 12 inches long. I wrapped some paper towels around half of it and then duct taped it. This increased the diamter a bit and protected the ceramic coating from scratching the inside of the header. I then put a cap on the other end to keep the line from slipping off. I used a come along which I attached to the far side frame. I put the pipe in the collector, slipped the wire cable around the end of the pipe, and cranked away. I pulled it over farther than I needed and left it for a few hours. After I pulled it off, bingo, case solved. Now it sits about an inch away and it should be enough to clear the shackle, even when it flexes. Pics below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Good trick. I might be doing this exact same set in a lil bit. After all the money you spend on these headers, you at least expect them to fit??? Good job :waytogo:

3. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with my thorleys... I ended up reversing the bolt and dimpled the (chrome) header... I like your solution better... but I dont like pulling on them and tweaking the flange... but it sounds like it worked...
    cam

4. trialanderror

trialanderror Registered Member

i just put on some flowtechs and the right header was hitting my front drive shaft ...so i cranked the truck and let it idle a lil while then hooked a comealong up to the header and a tree and slowly bent the header to where i needed it, then let it cool down....it worked great and no hard work involved..was just sitting there in the shop and it just poped in my head that the headers will get hot and bend easily, then if they cool while bent then they will retain the shape..if that makes any since:eek1:

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Nice clean solution. I like it! :) Good job.

Trialanderror, I was wondering how much "softer" they would be after the vehicle got up to operating temp. Guess that is a good time to bend them eh?

Should have done it when I fired the engine up initially, I bet glowing red makes them REAL easy to bend! By the way, don't install headers until you are sure the engine is done with initial break-in. :)

6. trialanderror

trialanderror Registered Member

not sure. but i figured if blacksmith used heat the help bend abd form steel its would work on the same principle:confused:..the break in things also a good idea..lol

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Installed mine almost a year ago. Used Cool Tech header wrap and I've had nothing but positive results!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

anybody got a link to doug's new site?

9. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

header wrap, doesn't that void the Thorley warrenty? I was planning on putting a set of Doug Thorleys into my truck so in doing research about them the warrenty info said never to use exhaust wrap on Thorleys or that would be like cooking them littlerally.

Oh and another question for those who have oned both the tri-y design and the full length design of headers, in producing power which one is best? I am talking more about real world rpms, like idle through 5000. Rather what are the benifits of the tri-y design?

10. Desert Rat

http://www.dougsheaders.com/

I thought about running them for a while, but being ceramic, they heat up slower and I didn't like running them open for hours. No sense whipping the neighbors into a frenzy. But, I think heating them up is a better idea.

11. ChickenRammit

ChickenRammit 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what are the advantages of the header wrap. obviously its good for the spark plug wires, but is there any other advantages?

12. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Can you tell us how you came across this wisdom.:confused:

13. dontoe

Cooler under hood temps, cooler firewall and floorboard (a lot cooler), supposed to add power-fuel mileage (not noticeable) and a bit quieter under the hood. I really like the wrap, love the headers.

And it does void the warranty, I also don't ever pay for extended warranties. Oh, well.............

14. Desert Rat

Speaking of spark plug wires, anybody got any suggestions on some really top quality high temp ones?

15. dontoe

MSD is my #1 pick, and then I slide fiberglass sleeving over them, from JC Whitney. Mainly because I like yellow wires!

16. Desert Rat

I used to hear good things about Jacobs, but recently I heard their quality went down the toilet. Anybody else?

17. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My headers even said it in the instructions, so I fired the engine up with manifolds, but apparently didn't wait long enough. Swapped the headers on, fired it back up, headers started glowing, and the coating permanently changed color (probably burned off) as far as they were red.

I have Accel plugs on mine, if your headers route like mine, there is plenty of space to keep the plug wires away from the heat IF you are willing to make some mounts to hold them in place securely.

Way too many folks have burned plug wires even with manifolds, I learned from their example and made sure mine are routed and supported as far away from the exhaust as possible.

18. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

hmmmm..... ive got the same problem with my dynomax headers on the driver's side. guess i'll have to give it a try.

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

This may not be the best picture but look at the plug wire holders/separators I got from Moroso with their HEI upgrade kit.
    [​IMG]

20. Desert Rat

Looks good, what is that bracket in front of the power steering pump reservoir?