Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dowels in GM crate motor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sickquad, Sep 6, 2003.

1. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

So, I am installing my new gm motor, the stock LM1 motor. It came with two small dowels, looks like one fits the back of the motor to locate the flexplate, however it fits loose, snug but loose. Can anyone tell me where these go? Do I need to use some cylindrical locktight on this dowel?

Thanks
    Chris

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

There are dowels on several spots. Are there two for each head? I think there are two for the timing chain cover (check that). There is one on the camshaft. There are two on the rear of the block to locate the transmission too....

There is one also on the rear of the crank like you said. If it fits loose, then I don't think that it is the right one. I believe they are press fit only, should be able to tap them in with a brass hammer......

3. txtough

txtough Registered Member

The two dowels are to fill the unused dipstick hole in a replacement engine. The replacements have a dipstick hole on the left and the right so that they can be used in many different year model applications. Each hole is a different size thus the two different dowels. The instructions that came with your engine should explain thier use also. We see a LOT of these engines come into our dealer with MASSIVE oil leaks because the installer left out the plug.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

What he said. I installed one dowel in the passenger side dipstick hole and the other in the end of the crankshaft to locate the flywheel. I took me quite a while to figure out what the hell they were for though.