Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Down to minor annoyances with new TBI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

OK, two minor problems left to go.

1)At cold start-up, still running really rich, no popping in the pipes anymore, but lite black smoke until O2 sensor warms up a bit.

2) Still have that d@mned hesitation when the throttle is opened quickly even after advancing the timing to 1 degree BTDC (which is as far as I can go with no pinging).

Holley tech guys swear it's to much fuel pressure (still have stock fuel pump) but that (to me) doesn't explain the to rich cold start circuit.

Before I go thru the time and expense of putting a regulator and fitting for a gage on, does anybody have anymore ideas?

BTW, I have a LOT more power now and the highway cruse requires much less throttle that with the old TBI and it no longer runs out of oomph at around 3800rpm It now pulls strong (given the 33's & 3.43's) all the way to the shift points (4200rpm); /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Given the mileage on the engine, I really don't want to wind it up to 5000.

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Hey, I was wondering if you could post up all the problems you had, and what you did to fiw them when you put the holley on.
    I'm thinking of doing the same swap later this year to mine, but would really like to know everything I can prior to getting it so as to cut down on down time. I'm so tired of my rig being down /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Most of the problems I encountered were a result of the old TBI being so bad that it hid other problems such as a tiny vaccum leak to the MAP and a bad O2 sensor (still working on the above headaches /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif) . The instalation was about as simple and straight forward as swaping TBI's and cutting the old injecter connector out and splicing in Holley's connector in. All the cable connectors matched up perfectly (given the 1/2" spacer/gasket). All I had to swap over from the origional TBI was the throttle cable attachment point. According to the sources that I've been able to find (I am going to check 3rd gen.com when I get home) say that it WILL idle a bit rich in closed loop mode.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Cool, I did a bunch of work to rebuild mine a year ago and it ran much better, but I still think I have a vacume leak too. I've been looking at this for quite some time to get a bit more power out of the old girl. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif