Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Down to one: 383 question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, May 19, 2003.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

OK, I got the yellow 83 shortbed out the door this weekend. Put the new 305 in it a couple of weeks ago. You'all were right. It costs some serious dinero to get a 305 up to par. It turned decent numbers on the dyno, but after the torquer heads, new quadrajet, cam, $350 rebuild kit, etc... etc... Oh well, it was just an experiment anyway. The 700r4 had a shift kit in it and would really bark the tires going into 2nd.
    The only prob was, you just can't get the big displacement sound with a 305.

Gave the black 84 to my brother in law a couple of months ago to help him out.
    That leaves me with the red 84 that is badly in need of a heart transplant. (the 305 is running fine, I just need more power)
    Here's the deal, I've got 2 blocks laying around now. Both 350's. one from 72 (4 bolt) and one from 83. I'm going to get the 72 block checked out as soon as I'm done taking it apart. It threw a rod and siezed up in my genious brother's truck. I inspected the cylinders and bottom end and the damage seems to be just the rods, cranks, and pan.(We'll see) Don't get me wrong, it's going to be completely machined if it is worth it. I need to get some torque out of this next engine so I was thinking 383 kit. This is my daily driver, and I also need it to be able to tow a small trailer as well as play in the dirt.
    Anyone got a 383 setup that they use for daily driving and towing that can share info on the setup they used? I've priced the kits with jegs and summit and they seem cheaper than if I bought everything seperately.
    I'd like to get this one going this summer so I can drop it in while I'm on vacation (ain't teachin great?) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I never did a 383, but a 400, they are close. I used it in my old 90, with the TBI, and this thing had loads of torque. Find out what the cc's are up the heads you are running. Then get pistons with around 10:1 compression. Don't use the 400 rods, use the 350 rods, and use ARP rod bolts. You get more torque, and a flatter torque curve, and the rod angle isn't as much as the 400 rods. The pistons for the 383 w/5.7 rods (any SBC) aren't much more than plain 350 pistons. Get a new balancer and flexplate, get the whole thing balanced. Don't need a huge cam, I used Comp Cam Xtreme Energy 268, and it didn't mess with the computer, and had a nice lope to it. Would be more noticeable in a motor like yours. Wouldn't hurt to get the matching valve springs. Use an Edelbrock Performer intake, or eqviulant, and 750 vacuum sceondary carb, headers too. This should give you plenty of power to tow, haul, wheel, and roast the tires off on pavement.

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

383's are great engines, especially in daily drivers. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I can send you that has all of my specs and part numbers. Let me know if you want it and where to send it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

10:1 compression is too high with iron heads unless you want to use 94 octane all the time. Go 9:1, it is still almost a full point over stock. Going from a 305 to a 383 will be orgasmic

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I agree. I am running 9.46:1 compression with ideal quench distances. I usually run 93 octane all the time, but I can run 89 without pinging if I am not working her too hard. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. georgiared84

That's what I'm looking for.
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gife-mail is manauman@earthlink.net
    Thanks a lot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. georgiared84

OK, I always laugh at others when they ask the same question, but.... What kind of mileage are you getting? My 305's have always sucked on gas (about 7 to 9 mpg) and my 350's have been a little better (around 11-14) how many gas stations can you drive past before it's time to fill up again? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Gas mileage?...is that gallons per mile? Actually I get around 6-8 depending how I drive it (usually not very fuel efficient /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)

I think I would get better mileage if I took off the Holley 750cfm 3310 and put on a good Quadrajet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My 383 has TPI sitting on top of it and gets 13.5 on the highway. That's with 4.10's, 35's and a Turbo 400. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Depending on the driver(are you listening Jr.)our 383 w/MPFI has produced 12-13 around town and 15 on the highway, but that is extremely hard to achieve when you have an vehicle with an engine that is that much fun to drive. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. georgiared84

What about the logevity issue. I've seen a lot of posts about 383's puking young and have always wondered how much of that is due to shortcuts in building. Going all the way. Got about 3500 set aside for the motor/ carb/ etc... so I figured that would allow me to get everything done correctly. If this block I got for free turns out to be no good, I may use the 83 350, or I may go with the complete kit that someone posted a while back.

12. georgiared84

Thanks for the spreadsheet! That clarifies a lot for me. I think I'm actually going with the sr torquer heads too. I just put a small set on the 305 and it no longer feels like a 305. I may go a wee bit cheaper with a few parts and get the jegs 383 kit.

13. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I ran 9.8 to 1 on my 406 with stock iron heads and ran 87 ocante all day long, with zero pinging. If it's carbed, then it might be a tad high, but if it's injected, as mine was, you won't have a problem.

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

No problem! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif You will be able to build a 383 cheaper than I did by going with a kit. I purchased everything seperately so that I could get everything that I wanted in parts. I also replaced every fastener with ARP stuff if it was available, that is also something that you aren't required to do. The cost depends on what parts you want and how much power you want to make. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. georgiared84

I'm going to try to aim at near 250-300 on HP and get some respectable torque. Nothing too agressive.

16. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Getting 250-300hp with a 383 is very easy, you could do that without even trying. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif