Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

downfall to a shackle flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Jul 20, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Is there any? for a little wile I heard they were not great for towing but then lately I heard they do fine for that(for me it dosent matter if i ever tow anything its a really light trailer) I need 6in of lift and I want my truck to be able to ride nice and be able to handle prerunner type stuff (lots of little bumps and small jumps) I dont really need it to flex I was thinking of a ORD 4in shackle flip with 2in spring(bsd or skyjacker) and the front just 6in lift spring(bds or skyjacker) and ord greesible shackles Does this sound like a good set up? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif its if I dont go with the flip then im gonna just run 6in lift spring out back. as far as shock go I hope for 5150 bilsteins one day

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like a solid set up to me. i prefer bds springs over skyjacker.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't the true PreRunner-style setups use looooong flat leaves? (I'm sure the mega-dollar rigs are all multi-linked)....

I seem to recall Deaver Spring in So Cal is one of the more respected shops for prerunner-type stuff. From what I've read, their secret is to get the shock valving perfectly matched to the spring and that's when the "magic" happens!

Like always, it's hard to believe that ONE suspension setup can do everything well. If your serious about prerunning, maybe you could find a way to incorporate some airbag assist into the setup for when you have to tow, or drive on the street.....just to get some extra spring rate???? Street-driven trucks always seem to need more rate than the offroad setups do. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

im not that serious about it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I deffently wanna keep the stock set up JW if all rear leafs would be better then a shackle flip

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

From what I understand, and I can't find the article I read this in, doing a shackle flip gives more flex that the stock shackle setup. When the shackle is hanging from the top when the spring flexes the shackle moves up, which is the direction the force of the spring moves it normally. When the shackle is mounted from the bottom the spring flex moves the shackle back and down in opposition to the direction it wants to go. I dunno if that made much sense since I am a bit inebriated. What it boils down to is a shackle flip makes the springs flex more which can be bad for towing if you tow heavy loads especially if you have saggy rear unloaded. It shifts too much weight off the front tires which effects steering. That is all in theory. In practice you will only notice a difference in the most extreme towing cases (usually you are towing more than the stock rig is rated to tow anyway). Mainly if you are towing a trailer with another vehicle balancing the trailer and not overloading the tongue are more importasnt than your rear spring setup.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I was thinking of a ORD 4in shackle flip with 2in spring(bsd or skyjacker) and the front just 6in lift spring(bds or skyjacker) and ord greesible shackles Does this sound like a good set up?

[/ QUOTE ] Only thing I'd change is the rear 2" springs to 3" springs, just becouse K5's sag in the butt becouse of the extra wieght of the topper and back seat. Besides, I like the rear just a tad bit higher then the front. BTW, the ORD greesible shackles added to 6" springs will put you closer to 6.5" .

7. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

if you want to prerun you will want springs with lots of arch and many thin leaves. this will give you lots of travel. the solid axle prerunner guys actually go spring under in the front wo they can get more arch to the spring and keep the truck low. the shackle flip and flat springs is great for trailrunning and rock crawling- but not the desert. check out this forum and do some searching around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

dezertpeople

8. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

its a K10 long bed

9. NightRider

NightRider 1/2 ton status

That setup rules. I just completed that exact settup, except I went with the tuff country springs front and rear from ORD. I also used an echobit flip instead of a ORD flip. The echobit is much easier to put on and less expensive, that's why I went with it. Here's a shot of my car lifted 78Jimmy

Couldnt find a close up on my shackle flip, sorry. I love that set up though, definitely get greasable bushings too, thats a mussssst!

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Here's a shot of my car lifted 78Jimmy

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    btw the link dosent work

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You do not appear to be the owner of this album.
    Make sure you are logged in.

[/ QUOTE ]

DOH..