Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Downgrading Life To Take Care Of The Idiots (Computers)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm gonna be reinstalling windows on a machine tomorrow for someone

He had an off the shelf piece of crap HP

Does it piss you off that they don't come with any software CD's? Does it piss you off that everything is preinstalled and setup in a standard manner that is completely retarded. Does it piss you off that the computer comes full of ads and offers?

The guy had a core error (lost a main system file) so he either has to send it back to HP to get his programs or rely on me to download or copy into his system all the programs he has, oh he has the product keys, but no software....

Why does everything have to be colorful, plastic, mindles, and soft? What happened to people actually learning a skill? Nonononono I don;t want to leanr how to do it, I just want to do it, strap me in I'm ready to mash color coded buttons and laug at email attatchments that I love untill they dump a virus down my throat! WHEEEEE!

I'm glad I built most of mine...

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

next time you get on a plane...i suppose the pilot will give you that same speech, lol

but i hear ya, i hate those stupid "store bought" computers

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Every HP I've owned (and that is a lot) came with software. It just isn't labeled as Word, WindowsXP, etc. They have all had a recovery disk with all the preloaded software. I do agree though that it is irritating that you have to reload everything just to get certain items that were deleted.

4. Resurrection_Joe

I am never getting on a plane if I can help it, unless I move to Japan, and I'm too impatient to learn the language

The no CD thing is a current trend I think, computers are "being made accesable" yeah well some things should be innacesable to keep idiots out, like the end of 5+ trails

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Oh man I just formatted my friend's Sony Vaio. Talk about a clusterfawk. There were NO drivers for the integrated ethernet controller, so we had to eventually just go buy a real card. Sony's website is crap about providing driver downloads. I like my Dell, I can format and get everything set up in under 30 minutes now. Just use a standard XP CD that I got from school and it's all there, except for going to nvidia's website to get the GeForce drivers. All the proprietary junk on store computers drives me nuts!

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am never getting on a plane if I can help it, unless I move to Japan, and I'm too impatient to learn the language

The no CD thing is a current trend I think, computers are "being made accesable" yeah well some things should be innacesable to keep idiots out, like the end of 5+ trails

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this, too. I have actually thought about writing a dissertation about how making computers more "user friendly" has screwed everything up. What happened to the days when you had to actually know how to use a DOS prompt and do simple maintenance tasks. People actually knew what they were doing. Now any old moron can go pay $2,000 for a crapbox and get on the internet and provide 2304871 security holes and means of propagating worms and viruses just because they have no idea what they're doing. And I can't believe how many people don't delete unneeded files or defragment. I have helped countless people who say their computer is "going bad" and is running like crap. Well, I get on there and find over 1GB of cache and temp files, not to mention 4,000 songs off Kazaa and they only have 400MB of free space left on a 100GB hard drive, so defragging isn't even possible anymore. I can't wait until Linus Torvalds takes over the world.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Pshhhh oh man, I was working on some womans computer a while ago, she payed me $20 to teach her KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS! And HOW TO MAKE A NEW FOLDER! GAHHHH!

Everyone should have to learn how to run FDISK

I liked it somuch I made 8 of them across 100gb

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I hate people with 500 icons on thier desktop, and redundant ones too, and old click to install, and old click her to connect to the internet

People alwasy yell at me becasue 80% of thier icons are gone when i leave, and I change the reolution from 800x600 to something sane. 1600x1200 for me!

8. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Talk about redundant...I had to clean up a lady's computer at work...she had atleast 50 links to 7 files and folders. Not to mention random links, and links to stuff that no longer existed. Several duplicates on her desktop, and links to links. Some of the links pointed to the folder they were in. That one confused me for a second when I clicked on them and didn't go anywhere.

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    That one confused me for a second when I clicked on them and didn't go anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What happened to the days when you had to actually know how to use a DOS prompt and do simple maintenance tasks. People actually knew what they were doing. Now any old moron can go pay $2,000 for a crapbox and get on the internet and provide 2304871 security holes and means of propagating worms and viruses just because they have no idea what they're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what Windows was invented for! So that any idiot can use a computer. Point and click. And with the internet, now any idiot can go online using a computer and ask stupid questions like,

[ QUOTE ]
    What happened to the days when you had to actually know how to use a DOS prompt and do simple maintenance tasks.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i hear you about "computers going bad"
    my parents still use an amd k6-2 333 w/ 256mb ram. Why? Cause its been kept up and it still runs like new.

12. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Too impatient to learn the language, huh? Wow, maybe that's how a lot of people feel about computers. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. Resurrection_Joe

I can learn my way around a normal program in 30 minutes

Something hard like Photoshop, 2 hours with use

Can you get a general hold on Japanese including Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji? Then get through proper pronunciation?

That would take me years of dillegent study, it's normally 7 years to mastery I believe. Taking classes that is.

Anyway, I was moreso comp-lainign about the fact that people don't WANT to learn. Not that it's too ahrd to learn. I think it's too hard to put it my 14BFF and new rear suspension right now, but I'm gonna.

14. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

Yea, it is frustrating but at the same time it provides work for alot of us IT guys and easy money, heh. Some lady paid me $100 to come to her house one night and install a VPN client. The sad thing is I setup SecuRemote to do a silent preconfigured install so it's pretty much just a matter of double-clicking the file and it does all the work, and she still wanted me to come out to do it hehe.

I miss DOS. I still use it all of the time for administration of my network. So much faster.

15. landsmasher

[Break in Topic] Hey Joe! Remember you talking about using a casket to sleep in in another thread somewheres. I had a friend who owned a hearst and slept in a casket inside when camping out. Nice thing about the hearst was the table that the casket is on rolled all the way out the side door so he could sleep under the stars and off the ground on warm nights. He sorta had a thing for Black Sabath, black clothes and caskets and stuff. He flew a black hang glider and had a black parachute which I used to pack for him. He also had a black casket for a coffee table in his house. So have you ever thought about a 4WD Hearst? (kinda figure the name "Resurrection Joe" fits in here somewheres) [/Topic Break]

16. Resurrection_Joe

Hearst = Shifter

Hearse = Thing They Roll Dead People Away In

Anyway

4WD Hearse? If I recall the funeral director in town is going to sell the Caddy hearse sometime. 500CID!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think the big black and blue truck would be scary with the casket on it. I'm trying to rhing of a way to incorporate my pass through trunk and a casket

Anyone got the measurements on a casket?

BACK TO COMPUTERS

I swear to god, why cant the spend THIRTY [darn] CENTS ON A DRIVER CD FOR ME! EVERYTHING WORKS BUT VIDEO AND AUDIO FOR THE LOVE OF GODDAMN MOTHER [darn] CHRIST

Now I have to rip the cover off to get the numbers on the MB, but that voids the useless [darn] warrenty

I'm formatting the thing right now.... had some wierd recovery partition that I couldn't get access to at all. The parttition read 4gb and the files within it read 180k WHAT THE [darn]!? HIDE THEM FROM WE WILL YOU!?

17. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Hurst = shifter

18. Resurrection_Joe

I should have made " " but I didn't /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. landsmasher

Hearse, what ever.. The last ride anyways ya... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I swear to god, why cant the spend THIRTY [darn] CENTS ON A DRIVER CD FOR ME! EVERYTHING WORKS BUT VIDEO AND AUDIO FOR THE LOVE OF GODDAMN MOTHER [darn] CHRIST

Now I have to rip the cover off to get the numbers on the MB, but that voids the useless [darn] warrenty

I'm formatting the thing right now.... had some wierd recovery partition that I couldn't get access to at all. The parttition read 4gb and the files within it read 180k WHAT THE [darn]!? HIDE THEM FROM WE WILL YOU!?

[/ QUOTE ]

you wonder why everyone doesnt want to learn to work on thier own computers?? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif