Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Downhill - How Steep is too steep?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

Okay, the K5's climbing abilities are awesome. I've climbed hills my buddies swore couldn't be done. My question is how steep is too steep when going downhill in a 90 K5 w/ TBI. Uphill is no problem, but I'm worried about running the oil pump dry on steep downhill grades (dropoffs). Is this something I should be worried about? I can shut off the engine IF the oil pressure gets too low, but there goes my power brakes. Anybody?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't know about the oil pump, but if it came down to shuting the engine off, then that is where gearing come into play. The lower the better.

3. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

RUN M.O.A. IN YOUR OIL IT IS A B.G. PRODUCT IT WILL HELP SAVE THE MOTOR FOR WHEN IT HAS NO OIL PRESSURE AT ALL. I HAVE SEEN ALL THE OIL PULLED OUT OF A MOTOR THAT HAD M.O.A. IN IT AND THEY RAN IT FOR ABOUT 30MIN. WITH NO OIL. AT THAT POINT I WAS HOOKED TO RUN THIS IN MY K5 IT SURE COULD NOT HURT.

4. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

If you're worried about losing oil pressure driving down the the incline, back down. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm sure there's a dual pickup oil kit out there, or you could always convert to a dry sump oil system for your K5 if you're concerned about those really steep hills.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You can install a Moroso Oil Accumulator. These are just pressurized cylinders that hold either 1.5 or 3 quarts of reserve oil. When your oil pressure drops they start squirting oil into your engine. When the pressure comes back, they recharge. You can also use them as a pre-luber before you start your engine. It would not work for a long period of time but it might do the trick. Summitracing sells them, looks like for around $180 in parts you can get set up. We used to use them in circle track racing and they worked great. Hope this helps.

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have an Autometer Pro lite which comes on at 15psi and lower. The light is very bright and I always know when I loose oil pressure because of steepness. You could buy a baffeled pan or a pan baffle from Moroso. The Accumilator is also a good idea.

7. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure 90* is too steep. j/k

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't worry about it. Anytime you will be in that situation, you'll just be idling and not applying any power anyway. If you get stuck, and are gonna be there for a while, and its reading 0, turn it off. Losing oil pressure on an uphill is much worse, because you are using a lot of throttle, however this rarely happens with a rear-sump oil pan (though I have seen it happen in some pretty extreme situations--not on mine personally, though).

Pete

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I thought that if there was zero oil pressure then the engine automatically shut off.