Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Downhill Smoking??

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by mstockton, Apr 24, 2007.

1. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

Hi all-

Rebuilt my 6.2 4000 miles ago, Used new rings on honed, worn stock bores. Thing has been running like a top except for this one problem I've got. Everytime I descend something steep (very steep dirt grades and the like), engine starts smoking out the exhaust, it seems mostly white with a little bit of blue, but it doens't smell like burning oil really. My initial thought was that the rings hadn't seated yet, but now that I've got close to 4k on the odometer its still doing it. I had been thinking that oil was getting slung up into the front cylinders by the crank on the steep downgrades because of the rear sump (explain why it doesn't happen on uphill ascents). But it just really doesn't seem like its all burning oil. I'm mystified as to how the injection system could be messed with by these downward slopes. I don't know how its possible, but the smoke is mostly white, it just seems to scream unburned diesel, but my logic points to oil getting in the cylinders.

Also, I replaced all injection components with rebuilt parts, and like I said, thing has been running fantastic, couldn't hope for better except for this smoking thing. Also truck has new 6.5 heads with 6.2 nozzles and 1990 LD DB2.

-Martin