Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Downshift cable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ak bandit, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

I have a '72 K5 with a TH350. I was looking through my shop manual and I noticed this thing called a downshift cable running from the transmission to the carb. Can anybody tell me about this cable and why my truck might not have one? I circled where it showed the cable connecting to in the diagram.

[​IMG]

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Also called kickdown cable. Connects to the carb, and when you open the throttle (by whanging the gas pedal all the way down) it downshifts the tranny.

Some people don't use them, remove them when they swap trannies into a truck that used to be manual, or whatever else.

Easy enough to install if you're patient ... I had to when I swapped trannies last summer, no big deal. Adjustment isn't bad if you're patient, as well.

-- A

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

that ones jut plugged off

no big deal..

i never run one

cept in highway driven cars

good luck

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

When I had my trans rebuilt I was told that there is a lot more to it than just a kick down cable. It works like a TV cable in a 700R4 by adjusting line pressure and it works together with the vacum modulator in a way. This was from a guy who has been building trans for 40 years so I hooked mine up.

5. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

Hmmm...I've never had any problems. It seems to shift just fine the way it is. I just thought it was odd that I didnt have one.

6. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Do you have any issues with down shifting? You know does it lug in 3rd instead of kicking down when you slow down and then stab the gas?

7. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

This is true for the tf727 and other tranny's but not the th350. The vacuum is the most important thing on the th350. I used mine and ive had cars where they were missing worked good either way. I recommed one on a column shifted truck that drives on the street all the time. To install you need to drop the tranny pan and line up the detent rod to the cable in the little hole at the end pretty easy but involved. the other end of the cable clamps/clips into a bracket that is bolted to the intake bolts. It then hooks to the bottom pin on the throttle at the carb usually where the spring goes and the cable goes through the spring.