Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DPI rock sliders, anyone have them?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Sent Daniel an e-mail with some questions but I'll post this up for everyone. Anybody with DPI sliders want to give some feedback publicly, or in PM? The questions I have are:

1. How durable have they been? Are you getting any body twisting when something impacts the tubes?
    2. How about somebody with an early model rig. I looked at the pics on his site about mounting and my rear body brace is much higher and farther to the rear than the one in the pic.
    3. I've debated back and forth between body mount vs. frame mounted. Pro's and con's with both. Opinions?

I've read all the previous posts, anybody have anything new?

Glad CK5 is back too.........

2. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

I do. Decent product, Haven't hit them on anything yet to see if they move. I do feel they should mount differently, but thats just my opinion.They are made out of pipe which I did not know, but being that they are just sliders, I don't feel that it matters. I'll see just how they stand up after this next weekend. I asked the same questions, he said he hasn't had any issues with them after 50? sets.

3. Desert Rat

What do you mean "pipe"? You mean HREW or DOM tubing right? How else would you mount them? I have been going back and forth between frame or body mount. His install has to be short and sweet. But, I wonder if I wack them what happens. Does it twist the body up any? If though that if I get them, I might add some more to the mountings.

4. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a set on the K5. I did not know they were made of pipe either. They had "sprinkler pipe" stamped on them. Just got back from Tellico, and got to test them. I came down on a rock, not very hard, and thought I hit body panels. Turns out the sliders saved my rocker and door, but now the main bar has a good arch in it. I think they should have been able to take this hit, it wasnt much of one but my rigs kinda heavy. Anyway, they bolted up good and solid, and do their job. I am very happy with them. If I get any more bends or damage to them my plan with them is to cut the main tube out and replace it with some .188 wall 2" dOM tube I have in the shop.

Bottom line: IMO, For the money they work great and do what they were designed for, to keep trail stuff from biting the body.

DP, I am in no way bashing, just my take on them after the trails last week. I think you have a good design though.:waytogo:

Clay

5. Desert Rat

Any plumbers here have a line on what sprinkler pipe is made of? I was toying with having some custom made when I do the roll cage but DP's prices are really good.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

most sprink pipe is just black pipe...alot of times its even thinner. its not structural

7. Desert Rat

I wonder if that is why they are reasonably priced. I like the design.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

yeah its fairly cheap. I would not run them for sliders. the stuff is very soft.

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Im sure its just standard Sch.40, its good for this kind of stuff because it is a hard metal, but brittle. It could be Sch.80 which is alot thicker (usually 1/4"ish) but most of your Sch.40 is going to be in the .120 range which will bend just like your described. IMHO tube is just not a good material for sliders, sure it looks great but ill take some 2"x4"x1/4" rectangle tube anyday. You just cant bend this stuff.

10. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The sprinkler pipe I deal with is either sch 40 or sch 10 black steel. Sch 10 is a thin wall sprinkler pipe often used to reduce your friction loss in a sprinkler system. The sprinkler pipe DP used was sch 40. A 2" sch 40 black steel sprinkler pipe has a wall thikness of 0.154

DP correct me if I'm wrong with the sch you used.

With that being said, I have a set of DP's sliders and have not had any problems with them. I haven't come down on them yet but somebody at some time has ran into one of them because there is a white mark down the side of one of them. Needless to say, it didn't do anything to my truck but think about what would have happened if they weren't there.....

11. Desert Rat

Out of curiosity, why go with sprinkler pipe over HREW or DOM tubing? Is it much cheaper? Is it easier to bend?

12. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I personally can't answer that one because I have never been in a position to see sprinkler pipe being bent in a bender. Maybe you could compare the tensile strength of all three and see what results that yields?

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

The material I use for sliders is Sch 40 A153 2" for the main bar and 1.25" for the outer bar. The material is made in the USA and has the same strength as HREW of similar size and the cost is about the same.

This is not the black pipe you buy at home depot.

14. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Clay, I would like to see some pics... Can you share some of the sliders and the obstacle if you have them?

Thanks
    DPI

15. Bushwhacker

CB got it on video, but I doubt you can see it from where they were recording from. My photographer(wife) did not go on the trip. I dont have a pic but plenty were standing around watching as I made the run. I will get you a pic of the slider. Like I said, nothing major and they saved the skin. Thats what their for.

Clay

16. Bushwhacker

Here ya go.... best I can do. And like I said earlier, they do what their for. Its not like I dont have some trail scars on the rig.:D

Clay

IM002132.JPG

IM002136.JPG