Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dr. Watson - NP205 Round case or Figure 8 ????

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by tarussell, May 22, 2004.

1. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have been saving up for my Doubler purchase and had planned on buying your ORD part # GU4004 for a figure eight case but since there is hope for a 3 to 1 205 gear set from Low Max/JB Conversions I am thinking that I now have an option of going with the round pattern case.
    Is there any preferance as to which ORD adapter to get ( figure eight or round pattern ) ?????
    From what you posted on Pirate it looks like they will have a case that offers both patterns and I want to get the most desireable one .
    I have seen each pattern case but I would like your opinion on which one is prefered for my 465 /ORD Doubler / Lowmax 205 set up .
    Thanks , Tom /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Note : I am planning on using a standard rotation set up if that helps in your answer to my question .

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't know if ORD even makes a doubler adapter for the round pattern 205 but if they do I would think the figure 8 would be stronger since it seems to have more support of the case.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I assumed that they did offer a round pattern adapter ???? I was thinking the same thing about the figure eight case and adapter but than I started to wonder if the larger surface area of the bigger diameter circle of the round pattern out weighed the longer figure eight pattern .
    Since it looks like I will be able to pick the pattern that I want I am trying to get the most desireable set up as far as the adapter goes .

NOTE: I will be using the 1975 and earlier T/C side torque mount with urethane bushings on the 205 and every motor/tranny mount - I don't know if that would matter but I thought I'd give ya'll as much info as possible to determine what is best in this case.
    Thanks , Tom

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It doesn't matter a whole lot which you use but the round might have a slight edge if you can find one easy. You don't have to machine the input, that's kind of nice and you might have more rotation options at a later date. The JB case can probably be drilled out to any round pattern you want and our adapter is somewhat adaptable to different patterns so you could rotate the thing later a little easier. I don't know how you would deal with the shift rail cutout in our adapter face but it could be welded up or cut a bit deeper to one side or the other without major hassle. I don't see an important strength difference, Ford used a similar pattern for many years (up to current) and they don't fall out of the trucks so I'm going to go with a big OK on the round pattern strength.

Oh yeah, we build Doublers to go to any married 205, no problem.