Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DRAC needed

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by dyeager535, Feb 11, 2006.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Slightly odd request, but I have a buddy in Australia that is in need of a DRAC. If I was home I'd just go get one and send it to him, they are a dime a dozen in the yards around me.

Anyone got one they'd be willing to ship to Australia? He'd pick up the tab.

Thanks!

Dorian

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I don't even know what a DRAC is, so no, I don't have one.

3. dyeager535

OK, long explanation short: Used on the trucks (plus Astro's, S10's, etc) right after the conversion to electronic speedometers. R/V series has them '90-91. Small clearish-white plastic box, maybe 3"x3" square. Under the dash near cigarette lighter IIRC for trucks? Astros mounted them behind the center dash vent, easily spotted if the dash is somewhat apart.

Converts the 40 pulse signal from the VSS to usable signals for everything connected to it.

Wiring connector for it runs to speedo, cruise, ECM, and the transfercase or transmission if 2wd. He'll also need the connector with wiring leads if possible.

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Aren't they specific for tire size and gears?

Eric M.

5. dyeager535

They are stock, but since it's a simple matter of removing the jumpers the factory put in there, and rearranging them for your combo, electronic speedo stuff rules. :)

6. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well...i have one stashed but i just finished packing the garage tonight since we sold the house. However...depending on when i finish the actual moving of my garage (small shop) i have to remove a harness from a 91 R2500 burb that the local boneyard is holding for me...91 was the only year for the 4l80e...anyways the drac is still there and if all goes well i'll let you know and take care of it. You can order a new DRAC from Instrument Sales And Service...they'll burn it to match what you have for $85...just some info.

Might cost you a bottle of Asbach Uralt brandy though...i was in germany from jan 85 thru oct 89 when i was on active duty...miss the place...

DW

7. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Dorian, I'm parting an 89 K3500 right now, 465/241 combo. If this vehicle should have one, where would I find it? Let me know, and if it has one, I can ship it to you or direct to your buddy.
    Jimbo

8. dyeager535

I sure wish getting alcohol home was easier "legally". They make it seem like you are drug runner or something. How often do you get to go to these places, shipping various types of alcohol home for everyone else to try should be a right! :) If you can get that '91 DRAC, I'd appreciate, as would my firend. Just shoot me a PM if/when you get it!

Jimbo, the DRAC would be somewhere near the cigarette lighter, but '89 should be one year only cable driven speedo 241 (hey someone else on here wants one of those!) so it won't have a DRAC.

Thanks so far, hopefully I can get this taken care of for him!

9. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Dorian, This truck is a "K" series, and has electronic speedo; the 241 is a driver drop and is listed in the classifieds. I won't have a chance today, but will get back on it tomorrow, its got to be in there somewhere.
    Jimbo

10. dyeager535

Oh, sorry about that, I didn't even notice the K section...went straight from 3500 to R/V in my mind for some reason. :)

I have no idea where they hid them on these trucks later on. It will be in the wiring harness tied in somewhere. If the setup stayed the same, there are two wires twisted together from the t-case to the DRAC. Blk & Blk/Grn maybe?

11. dyeager535

BTT, any updates?

Thanks!

12. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Hey Dorian, I can't seem to find it in my truck--is it possible it's about 2" x 3", and black in color? Found something I can't ID near the ECM.
    Jimbo

13. dyeager535

14. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i will be in a few yards tomarow and will grab one for ya. will even cut and leave plug with pig tails on it also.

15. dyeager535

Would appreciate it! :)

16. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just got back from yards today. got 2 units and 1 mounting bracket for it. also pig tails on them. one was ? on condition. other thay said guy drove in the yard and sold it to them and thay drove it around. but never said if speedo worked or not. but with the 2 units i dont see any problems.

dracs.jpg