Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drag Link adjustments?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Dec 30, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just finished with my 4" lift kit, well i thought i was finished until i took it out on the street and tried to steer it. I forgot the part of the directions where it tells to adjust the drag link properly. I am not sure what they mean by adjusting it properly. I am guessing make it longer by loosening the 2bolts on the clamp in the middle of the drag link and then just unthread the 2parts of the arm more so it becomes longer? I can turn all the way left but only 1/4 of the way when i need to turn right. Is the drag link being to short the cause? I am not to sure of the directions and what they mean by "adjust" the drag link. I am hoping those 2 bolts are it. Thanks for any tips!

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Yes, you are correct on both - the drag link is now too short because of the lift so the turning radius sucks and you do adjust it by rotating the sleeve.

Now, did you use any corrective steering parts with the lift? Lift arm, block for arm, drop drag link, etc? I assume no based on your question. You really should put something on there to relieve stress on the steering box, without it your asking for a frame crack (if you don't already have one). Also, without one of these parts you can get the steering centered by adjusting the drag link but the overall turning radius will be decreased.

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats it. Easy fix. Just rotate it until the steering wheel is back to normal. I found a pipe wrench useful. Good luck.

4. stockk5

No i put a new steering arm that came with my kit on the truck. I will lengthen the drag link tommarow and see how it goes, thanks for the tips!

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Center the steering box first. Do this by dissconnecting the drag link from the pitman arm on the steering box. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left or right. Turn it all the way back the opposite way, counting how many turns from lock to lock. Devide that number in half and turn the steering wheel back the other direction that many times. Then adjust the draglink to fit. Done.;)

6. stockk5

is there really a need to disconnect the draglink from the pitman arm if the drag link its already disconnected from the steering arm? ill try lengthening the drag link first. Thanks for all the advice!

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

As long as it's dissconnected at some point it does't matter. I assumed it was already all bolted together. If that had been the case, it would be better to dissconect it from the pitman arm so you don't have the draglink flopping around when you turn the steering wheel. ;)