Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drag link and heim joints (somewhat OT)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4Freak, Feb 15, 2004.

1. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I need to build a new draglink for the scout and I have a few questions.

Would it be strong enough if I use some 1" .156 wall tubing with 5/8" heim joints?

I'm also considering 1 1/8" .188 wall tubing with 3/4" or 5/8"heim. Would this be over kill?

Any other suggestions or advice would be great. This is what I have to work with. http://community.webshots.com/photo/117652956/117825790mPyxkp The clearance is really tight between the spring with the pass. side flexed out. I figured a heim joint would give me a little more room than the drag link end.

I would love to do a high steer setup or go full hydro, but it's not an option right now cause I'm poor. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

wow that looks ugly, is there a lift on the thing, and if so are you using a dropped pitman arm. That drag link needs to be straight so that your geometry and turning/bump steer is all in check. Your pipe sizes are okay with the .156 wall thickness, but will the joints stay lubed if you go that rout?

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I just got through doing a SOA conversion. I know that a dropped pitman arm would help, but there isnt much room there either. I dont think the bumpsteer will hurt me too much since it wont be driven on the street.

4. monsterjim

Should work okay then. Ive seen guys move the steering box to the outside of the frame to accomodate zoomy headers going up through the hood, Beef up the frame a little there and move the box might be an option if ya wanted to get some different geometry there and put a dropped pitman. Otherwise the heim joint should be fine. Where ya going racing at? Big mud bog and maybe sand drags on the canadian river north of Amarillo the last weekend of this month.

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

No racing yet. I'm going to go watch the bogs and do some trail riding. They cancelled the sand drags for some reason.

I'm trying to atleast get a temporary solution so that I can take it wheeling. What I have now seems to be working ok so far, but it's just not strong enough. I already broke it once trying to turn around in the back yard.

6. monsterjim

Got to thinking and maybe that heim joint won't work, before there was a ball joint on both ends, that allows it to move in any direction,(forward, back, up, down, side to side) the heim joint only allows up and down with a little bit of pivot as it travels up and down, I think it is to rigid, won't go back and forth, I think it needs a little slop in there to work right. How are you connecting it to the pitman and the steering arm?

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

With a bolt.

8. monsterjim

Well da a bolt, but can that bolt move on the opposite side of the heim? Is that where it is breaking? I think there needs to be more movement, has to move with the a arms up and down and back and forth when you turn, as well as a little forward and back when you hit the fron tires against something. We use the heim to do 4 link suspensions, but they are only moving up and down, I still think they are to rigid to use as drag link ends.

9. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

It broke on the edge of the bottom truss. I just used a piece of pipe and the truss put too much stress on one spot. I'll be using some DOM tubing this time.

I can use some draglink ends, but I figured that the heim joints would give me a little more clearance between the spring. I also have some thin spacers that I can put under the springs if I need to.

10. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I've talked with a few people about doing the spring-over conversion on Scouts since I have a '74 Scout II. I've heard that there's alot involved in re-welding knuckles and all that to get the pinion angle right... etc... all that which you may have already encountered/done.

And of course, it's hard to to everything without a bunch of money for parts. But... here's a link to a question I asked about putting Chevy axles under a Scout. I also talked w/ a guy yesterday who happened to have done both conversions (just regular spring over and a Chevy axle-spring over), and I got alot of info from him. So I can always talk to him again and ask about what he did for steering.

http://www.justinternationals.org/Binder-Bench/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1322

http://www.justinternationals.org/erickincel.htm

11. monsterjim

Sent ya this site on the texas4x4 link also, Looks like you can make it work, www.bulletproofsteering.com might have some answers, send some pics when you get something figured out. Good luck

12. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the links. I dont see spending $75/ea for some heims though. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I'll probably just use some cheaper ones until I can afford to upgrade to better ones.

Mountainxplorer: The conversion wasnt that hard at all. The worst part was turning the knuckles (I know I didnt get them exact like they should be, but close enough for offroading. I took it out on a paved road and it drove pretty good at about 50-60 mph). I was able to do everything myself with little cost. I used 2" square tubing for spring perches and made some brackets to drop down the brake hard lines so that it still uses the stock hoses. The shocks are also mounted so that the stock ones still work fine. I still need to redo the back ones though. I also extended the driveshafts myself and moved the front axle foward about an inch. I got about 6-6.5" of lift out of it. All the pics I took are here. http://community.webshots.com/album/117652956wUVthy If you have any questions send me a PM and I'll help any way I can.