Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drag link grease/dust boot replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, May 11, 2001.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

O.k....I know someone has had the same problem. While changing the steering arm I bent some threads on my drag link....couldn't get the nut to thread back on so I took off the entire drag link from the pitman arm and the steering arm in order to repair the kinked threads. In doing so I used a pickle fork (tie rod remover tool) and ripped up the boot that the grease is in. Where can I get replacements for my boots? You know what I'm talking about? By the way...why don't any of the lift instructions say anything about using a tool to remove the drag link? My skyjacker instructions simply say..."Remove cotter pin and loosen nut on drag link at the end by the steering arm. Now remove and lower the drag link down and out of the way." Well...in order to do that you need a pickle fork. I didn't know that and in trying to remove the drag link...used the wrong tools. Guess that's why it's important to have the right tools for the right job...

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

2. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

You can purchase new boots at your local autoparts store from the Help section. Our spend more money to get them from GM. Our the best would be to purchase new polyurethane boots from Energysuspensions. They come in cool colors will not rot like the rubber and hold up better to the use of a fork.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I was in that exact same situation one time. The GM dealers don't sell just boots, they couldn't even find a part number for it. They only sell the whole drag link end or an entire drag link. There were also no suitable dust boots at any of the local car parts stores. They had some "universal" boots, but they just didn't fit right. I ended up using an old boot off an old tie rod end from another vehicle, which fit pretty decent. It's been on a year now at least and seems to be doing a good job. So I have three suggestions:
    -Look around for old dust boots from something else (I actually hang on to my old ones now after I change ends just in case this happens again.)
    -Order some poly dust boots and just use the old torn dust boot until you get it. Just pump it with grease some more if you get it wet or dirty - although it will be messy.
    -Replace the drag link end.

Then next time you take it apart, use the screw type remover with the two hooks the clip over the pitman arm or steering arm because it doesn't rip up the dust boot. Autozone has them on it's loan a tool program.

<font color=green>"Do not replace belt while engine is running" --Warning on a Kelly Srpingfield package</font color=green>

4. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Boy I love to dredge up old posts with the search /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

The dust boots on my tie rod ends are shot on both sides. Here is a pic I took last nite:
    http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/jsausman/vwp?.dir=/73+Jimmy&amp;.dnm=centerlink.jpg I know, I know, centerlink is not the right name. It's pretty squished and there is grease everywhere. I found some Energy Suspsension tie rod dust boots that come in 21/32" ID with 1-5/8" OD and a set that comes in 19/32" ID with 1-3/8" OD.

Is either size right for bolt on the tie rod end? If not, can I get new boots without new tie rod ends?

Thanks!!