Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drag link is to long

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1987Chevy, Jul 24, 2005.

1. 1987Chevy

1987Chevy Registered Member

I was wondering if this happened to any one else. I am running a 4" lift and decided to switch from a stock pitman and raised arm setup to a drop pitman stock arm set up. When I went to hook up the drag link even with it adjusted in as far as it would go the steering wheel would not center it was like half a turn off. I was wondering if this happend to any one else and if so what did you do to fix it? :confused:

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Are you sure that the steering box is centered when you are adjusting the draglink? Also, it is possible the previous owner put in a longer drag link in to accomodate the lift.

3. 1987Chevy

Yes the box is centered and I put the lift on my self and I replaced the drag link with a new one that is exactly the same as the old.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Front springs may have non-standard centering pin location, or there is a "zero-rate" block installed to move the axle forward???

Moving the axle forward will improve clearance of the front tires when flexing, but will also create the problem you describe. I had to cut down my stock draglink to make up for the difference.

5. 1987Chevy

My springs moved my axle forward a 1/2" to 1" I'll see how cutting down the drag link works.

6. 1987Chevy

just cut the drag link down and it fits real good now :D