Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drag link or pitman

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nyyef, Oct 12, 2000.

1. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

when lifting a truck, which is better to change the drag link or the pitman arm?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I used a 4" steering arm. They are about $55....

Not sure which is better to use.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I change the steering arm also. Goes to the knuckle. Don't think they make drop pitman arms. An extended drag link does nothing to change the higher angle that the rod ends are now dealing with.

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

They do make a 2" drop pitman arm. I'm using one, but can't wait to get it off as some of the teeth have broken off! Only about 1/2 of the tooth contact area (which is small anyway) is remaining. I do recommend the steering arm, which attaches to the knuckle...its good for about up to 6" of lift correction. I don't really care too much for the drop drag links, as if you get too much protrusion from the ends, they bend!! I've bent them!!

ken

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

A dropped (S-shaped) drag link does nothing to correct steering geometry. All it does is improve the angles that the drag link ends operate at. A dropped pitman arm does help correct the steering geometry, but it places even more stress on the steering box, and the known weak point in the frame where the steering box attaches. The best solution is a raised steering arm, IMO. God bless small lifts and cut fenders.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

6. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status