Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drag Link

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84GMC, May 6, 2001.

1. 84GMC

84GMC Registered Member

What is invovled in removing and installing a drag link? I have noticed an increase in steering play and I'm pretty sure it is in the drag link.

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

A pickle fork helps if you have it. I usually just smash it with a hammer, it's gonna get replaced, so no damage done.

"My blazer may be slow, but it goes faster at higher speeds"

Jim

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I've had the best luck by hitting the steering arm next to the drag link with a hammer to pop the drag link out. Same goes for the other end by the pit-man arm, just take it easy on that one so your not beating up the gear and steering lock.

Thats realy the best way I've found to remove all taperd tie-rod style links. A good hit 90 deg. to the stud usualy pops them out fast. Pickle forks work O.K. if your replaceing that part, pickle forks useualy damage the boot and link. A combination of the two is a sure-fire bet.

Quickest way to check drag-link wear is to have someone work the steering wheel back and forth in the "free play" zone, and watch all the links, they should be solid with no slop when checked in this fashion.

When installing a new link, mark and count the number of turns it take to remove the link from the sleave. Install the new link and turn it the same amount of turns back into the sleave. Check the two links- they should have about the same amount of threads in to the sleave- adj as needed. This should get the steering wheel close to where it was to start with.

Twiztid

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 05/06/01 05:54 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. FWP

FWP CRS

That's a great explanation Twiztid. I would add one thing, drag link ends aren't all the same length. Measure center to center on the old one once it's on the bench. That way you can double check the turn counting thing. Note the angles and location of the adjusting sleeve and ends as well, to make sure they're at the same angles when the new ends go on. HTH

[​IMG]

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

True 'dat FWP[​IMG] on all three counts[​IMG]

Make sure the clamps are out of the way when turning the steering wheel, usualy not a prob on 4x4s

And it was a pretty good explanation, wasn't it[​IMG]

[​IMG]Twiztid[​IMG]

That enuff for ya, FWP[​IMG]