Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drag raced the Jimmy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Aug 9, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I found a drag strip on accident while driving, so I decide I might as well try. I have an 80 GMC Jimmy 4x4, went up against a dodge power wagon and beat him. I got a 18.9 with a bad r/t.

I raced twice, I was about to race a 3rd time but when I got in line I turned my engine off to let it cool. Then when I tried to start it no go. I talked to some guy, he said to hit the starter with a hammer so I did and it started up. Then I decided that was enough racing before I got stranded.

I might get a car for better gas mileage etc, but I'm not sure. I'm gonna wait 1/2 a year or so and see if I use 4wd or not and if I even end up going off-road. I'm kinda scared to take it off-road because something might break and I don't have the money to fix a lot of things.

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

No guts, no glory! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Don't be too scared of it. These trucks are built pretty well and some things need to be used every now and then to keep them lubed and working (t-cases and front ends). Drag racing puts much more strain on the drivetrain than a bit of 4 wheelin. Extreme rock crawling, jumping and romping them hard is what tears 'em up. You don't have to be that aggressive, although it's half the fun. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif GMs are notorious for that solenoid problem. The one thing I like better about fords is that they mount the solenoid up high instead of on the starter. You can shield it from the exhaust system heat, but after they've been cooked a few too many tiems they will start acting up (even worse if you have headers).

4. anatomiczero

I might like driving slowly through trails and stuff, but I probably won't be doing any hard off-roading.

I kinda felt like when I first got a computer and messed it up, then I learned how to fix it so I'm not scared of it breaking anymore. I guess i'll just need to get more used to how things work and I wouldn't feel nervous.

I'm kinda scared of it breaking down on me somewhere far from home though, the tranny and engine are pretty new, but I can't stop remembering it's 22 years old.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ain't it a blast!? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif BTW, the reaction time is not included in the ET. Reaction time is how long it took from when the green light came on, until your front tire was out of the way of the staging light. Once that beam reconnects, the ET timer starts. So you could sit there for 10 seconds after the green, then launch and the ET would still be around 18.9 secs. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

At most tracks, if the reaction time is less than 0.400, you get a red light. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Sometimes just running down and easy trail is just fine with me. More than a Car can handle but nothing tough for even a stock K5 is just a pleasent afternoon. Not all 4 wheeling has to be hard core. I quite honestly even running some of the tougher stuff have very little breakage. Stuff like killing U- Joints before they would on the street. Mud eats up Drum brake shoes pretty quick. If you keep up on the general maintance then it shouldn't be an issue on mild trails.

7. LlanoK5

LlanoK5 1/2 ton status

I wheel my stock K5 mostly in sand, water crossings and a mild rocks. I allways have a blast doing it and never had any major breakdowns. As was mentioned before you do need to use four wheel drive to keep it in proper working order. Hell, who knows you might get bit by the bug pretty bad. Have fun with the Jimmy, they're the best stock platforms that I've come across.

Kirk

8. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm kinda scared of it breaking down on me somewhere far from home though, the tranny and engine are pretty new, but I can't stop remembering it's 22 years old.

[/ QUOTE ] if those 22 year old parts were not good, we wouldnt be trying to buy them from each other /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Oddly enough, i did more fun wheelin when i was stock /forums/images/icons/frown.gif because now i have to REALLY GO SOMEWHERE to find a challenge since my rig has gotten so built up. It isnt as ez as finding the local watery puddle and doing doughnuts, wich EVERY MAN LOVES TO DO /forums/images/icons/grin.gif these dont break as ez as you think, they are built tough with chevy stuff, and 20% of this [censored] is for showing what we could build and what it could do, and 80% of it is just LEARNING how to wheel, most of the non-breakage is by crawlin, not being a cowbot it up leadfoot /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif good luck! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. anatomiczero

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Ya...don't be worried about breaking stuff....just fix it better than it was and don't worry about it again.

My best time in my '71 Suburban is 16.41 at 80mph....not too bad for a 5500lb truck /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I know nobody will remember this, but several years ago in hot rod and car craft mags, there was a guy who ran an 82 blazer in the bracket circuit. it was a 454, tunnel ram, 2 carbs, all the drag stuff. with some 33" slicks on wagon wheels and skinny's on front it ran low 11's high 10's!! no lift kit or anything but was fast! I have the article somewhere. I never throw any mags out. if i ever find it i will bost it for all to see.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Check these vids out - cool stuff.
    Video #1
    Video #2 </font color>

13. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Glad you ran it at the track. Street racing has gotten out of hand in Fla, and the police are REALLY cracking down on it. Im sure its prob getting that way everywhere.

ANYWAY! LOL! I didnt go to the track but got my hands on a Vericom on board computer. My Cherokee pulled a 17.48 @ 85 MPH in a 1/4 mile run. (on 40s) I launched bad, and shifted @ 5000. W/in a few weeks I was launching better and turning 7 before I shifted. I never could get my paws on the Vericom to try it again but I bet I was getting into the 15's. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Dont worry about your Blazer, its a great truck to build from. Parts availability is still real good, the aftermarket is swimming w/ upgrades, and best of all theyre easy to work on.