Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

drag racing question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 5, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I was watching some drag racing on TV today, and some of the pro-mod cars sprayed some stuff. Beside the hood scoop, in the hood before the windsheild, there was 2 nozzles that sprayed some liquid or gas or something in the air.

What is this stuff, and what is it for?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

probably purging the nitrous systems...

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nitrous purge. Clears air out of the system.

4. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

What he said. Keeps the lines clean so you don't blow any junk that may have gotten into the line into the injector.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thats what I was thinking, but what happens on other cars that have nitrous when they purge. Where does it go? Since they dont have those nozzles?

6. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

yes it is purging and its to clean air out of the line. whenever a system is turned off or a bottle is replaced air is allowed in the lines. so for NO2 to be productive without burning pistons fuel is added, so when you add all the fuel and you have air in the line its like dumping more fuel into the motor causing a very rich condition in turn causing stalling and sputtering. the reason you dont see it on all cars is that some people purgthe air which is followed by nitrous(and allot of it becasue the purge is prior to the NO2 jets) back into the intake to clean the plugs for a better burn of fuel

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

on cars that don't do a purge visible, they either have the nozzles underneath th e car(not certain but likely against NHRA rules), or don't have one. Most just don't have a purge setup(though they should). I've seen nitrous shoot straight out of the bottle, looks just like a purge.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

actualy the nitrus is best at a certin temp. and the main reason for it is like above listed but also to get the warm and incorrect temp stuff out just before run. this keeps the #'s and times all even for best power and to keep all test history true for every combo thay run and compair it to. the other thing thay do is have bottle blankets to keep the no2 bottle at a specific temp to help keep the system at the special temp also. if you look at a n02 gauge you will see certian sections for good and bad pressures. hope this helps.

9. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

actually its not the temp that they are going for but a specific pressure. we leave the line every time at 1200 PSI so yes the purge is also used if the bottle has gotten too hot which will raise the pressure. that is what the blankets and warmers are for so when the pressure is too low turn on the warmer and get the pressure back up. the more empty the bottle is the more you have to heat it.

but yes what he said

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

ya been a wile for me. thanks for the correction.:D

i prefer to inhale it at the dr. office my self:screwy: :ignore: :woot: :whistle: :pimp:

11. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

been there!!! been known to crack a bottle open in a small car back when i was a kid lol

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

snort!

I always thought they sprayed it out of the windsheild squirters while the defroster was on--to enhance the "rush" while the driver roared down the track at 100+mph.. :haha: ... :haha:

I might be snortin some soon at the dentists..got some teeth that gotta go.. :doah: :frown1: :tongue1:

13. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

i did one time have to pull a guy out of his car at the end of the track because his system leaked into the car. it was all he could do to stop the car before passing out. pretty entertaining afterwards but not driving a 7 second car. makes a good story when hes around though.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks, I think it was cleaning the plugs was the other thing I read but forgot about.
    Why don't some of the racers take advantage of the purge to clean the plugs, instead of spraying it out the hood?

Thanks for the help guys!

Thanks!

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow that would be scary. Did one of the lines fail or why did it leak into the car? Luckily he didn't crash!

16. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If the guy was passing out by the end of the track, he's extremely lucky to be alive. The human body's window for nitrous intake is very small, a small amount too little and the effects are minimal, a small amount too much and the effects are disastrous. Most of the dentists around here have gotten away from using it for that very reason.