Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dragging the Jimmy out of Mothballs...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Logan, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Logan

Logan Registered Member

I've got an 84 Fullsize Jimmy (stock carb'ed 350 V8, SM465) that's been parked up at my father's cottage for about a year and a half,
    since I snapped one of the rear u-joints. I was in the process of buying a house at the time, and all my
    cash ended up going to the money-grubbing lawyers.... Long story short: I fixed the U-joint, but she refuses to
    start now.

The battery is completely dead (but surprisingly not frozen), so I'll have to bring up a spare next time I go up.
    When I try to jumpstart, the engine rotates extremely slowly - Maybe once a second. The starter motor will click
    and stutter like it does when there's not enough power, but it does turn. I got my Dad's old suburban running,
    and tried to jumpstart off of it, but it does the same thing, even with the engine running.

I'm going to go prepared next time -- Like enough extension cords to reach the truck from the cottage so I can
    get the block heater going, charged spare battery, gasline antifreeze, etc.

The truck was running perfectly when I parked it, so it *should* be in pretty much dececnt shape still...
    Is there anything else I should bring to help bring it back to life? I was alone last time I went up, so I didn't get a
    whole lot of troubleshooting done.

Thanks!
    -Al.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well you haven't turned it much obviously and it hasn'e seized yet, so I would strongly suggest:
    remove the sprk plugs and spray some WD40 or atf in the hole.
    Let it sit for a few minutes and then crank it with another battery (the old dead battery is not letting the jump starting power to go to the starter Remove it)
    After the engine is turning freely and oiled, put back the spark plugs, a squirt of gasoline in the carb opening and start it, it should start good.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I concur! [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

-Dan

4. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

You might try some starting fluid also. A can of carburator cleaner (B-12 Chemtool) to clean the carb once you start it will not hurt. And a new tank of gas should do the trick with the above suggestions.

5. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

and be sure to report back when it is going with what all you had to do to get it going, "like a rock" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    FourWheelerJeff: I noticed you were in Ft. Worth, and I looked at your profile....I figured with a sig like "Its' easier to ask forgiveness than permission" you HAD to work for either the State of Texas or the Feds..... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

yep, left over from my army days, put to the test many times /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Good points too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Sorry I ass U me d.
    Yeah the old gas isn't the greatest so you should put a good quantity of new fuel to mix it with, and the B-12 is great I use it too. Just mix it with the fuel you add to the tank.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If it's cranking slow after new battery - clean check all battery connections AND clean connection on the block for the ground, and clean /check the connection on the starter for the positive.