Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dragging Tire

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cricket, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Anybody experience a temporary rear wheel lock in cold temps. I've had this happen 3 times over several month spread.

Right rear will be locked and drag for a few feet before breaking loose. The brakes drum does not seem to be locking and there are no leaks out of the piston cups.

77K10 with 12 bolt open 3.73's.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

every single chevy truck I have owned has done this. My 1984 K5, my 89 Burb, my 1997 C2500, and my 1995 K2500. I have posted on here before asking about this and never get a reply. And I have no useful info other than, when it happens I hold the pedal to the floor and pump it a few times, sometimes it helps.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if its not the brakes, i bet its something in the diff. always the right rear? weird :screwy: :screwy:

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Huh Sled-Dog, wonder if it's a brake fluid pressure problem. Were all your carriers open or did you have posi/spool/lockers/gov lock in any?

Did they change the brake pressure modulator (can't think of the damn name of that part) between those years? They must have if any of those trucks had 4 wheel disc.

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Yup, right rear every time. The problem is it only happens on occasion. when it breaks loose it does not make any noise at all, just starts turning. I usually end up with a 2 to 3 foot tire drag mark on the driveway.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

all opens, seems to happen when humid and cold most to me

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

kinda wonder if its moisture in brake fluid, since we all know the fluid absorbs moisture

8. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I had a new master cylinder installed between these events. Bled the brakes and added new fluid. Did not seem to make a difference.

9. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Mine did it tonight at the worst possible moment. Long story short, it snowed 1" of snow here at Langley AFB, Va. THE WHOLE BASE was locked down, nothin but bumper to bumper out EVERY exit and accidents everywhere...So, being the smart person I am, I sat at work til 730 and drank a few beers and watched the new Blue Collor Comedy. So, I was crossin the bridge fixin to hit the exit leavin base, and its a sheet of ice, right at the end of the bridge is a dip then theres the gate....My back right licked up going over the last 5 feet then the truck swung towards the curb, luckily I had already crossed the river.

PHEW!!

Anyhow, i dunno how much I would say its brake fluid because not even 3 weeks ago I completely flushed hte brake system and put in new fluid.

10. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have seen this happen when to much brake dust builds up in side of the drum don't know why but it does.

11. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Everything brake related to the rear axle is clean which is what kinda bugs me. I hope its not gove loc related, HOWEVER. I am glad it happene don ice and not dry pavement.

12. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How well are they adjusted i have seen under adjusted brakes hang up before.We had alot of problems like this on our work trucks.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

both my 3/4 tons do that too!

My 74 and 82 K20 both do the same thing--I think the drums rust up overnight,and some original rear brake shoes are metallic,when the drums and shoes get a little rust on them and you even touch the brake pedal,the rear wheel skids every time,first stop at the end of the driveway,usually accompanied by a shuddering and squealing noise(my driveway has a lot of short skid marks now!:blush: )--I have tried blowing the dust out with an air hose and brakleened the shoes,but it didnt help for long--it only does this once or twice,until you drive a few hundred feet--then it wont do it again,until it sits a day or two..!--My brother has had many trucks similar to mine at his work do the same thing--he said changing the wheel cylinders and adjusting the E-brake cable cured it on the trucks he had to fix...:dunno:

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

My '81 Datsun would do that too. Would have to rev her up and drop the clutch to get it to bust loose, then it would be fine. No noises or dragging once it broke loose. It always kind of scared me, but nothing ever came of it so I stopped worrying.

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Humm kinda wierd but seems to be this is all east coast people having this problem

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

east coast???

You must mean the "RUST COAST"!!--there are two coasts in the U.S.--the "WEST COAST"and the "RUST COAST"..;) :D :D

Someday I'd like too live on the west coast--I saw a show about the Grand Canyon yesterday--man,thats the place to go see...:cool1:

17. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya man your guys's trucks are nuts, i have NO rust anywhere on my truck, i looked hard when i did my axle swap, lift. and found nothing, the stuff you guy's go through to get a truck on the road is nuts, i couldent imagine having to deal with that

18. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

My fathers Ford Ranger had this problem after a rain. The shoes would get wet and expand slightly, and hold the drum firm. I think Ford even had a TSB on it. To remedy the problem, you needed to replace the shoes and the springs. Bendix shoes and springs were like $40.

Though not a ford, I bet you are having a similar problem. Its probably compounded by ice too. I would just do a rear brake job. Good luck.
    -Randy

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I should do back brakes on my burb anyway. The burb seems to do it less than any of the others. But I think that has to do with the fact that its the heaviest, it likely is too much force for the brakes to grab that much.

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine does similar to others...same rear wheel would lock up with extremely light pedal pressure, seems to be ONLY in wet weather.

Brake fluid is new, brake pads/drums are good, and the ebrake works perfectly, as it should.

I hate drum brakes. :) My dads truck does this too, but when trying to slow down on a slippery slope, a wheel locking up is no good.

Rear disks are an upcoming swap if I ever figure out a good way to do it!