Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Draglink angle, no bumpsteer...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, Jul 26, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

My K-20 has a 6" lift. For steering correction it has the raised steering arm. The draglink runs at noticeable downhill angle from the steering box to the steering arm, about 2 inches lower. It is at enough angle that I would think that I should have bump steer, but I don't. This also reminds me of the "truck turns when braking" post in which someone suggested a dropped pitman arm to level the draglink, which may have been making the tires turn. What I was thinking is this - when driving down a rough backroad and the suspension compresses the draglink angle (which would be getting more level) should make the tires turn to the right. At the same time the suspension compresses though, the leaf spring is getting flatter, and as this happens the axle is moving rearward, which would make the draglink seem shorter and turn the tires to the left. Is it possible that these two actions cancel each other out? Just thinking out loud, maybe I'm /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif?

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you got it.
    parallel to the ground draglink is all wrong for lifted chevs