Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Draglink ends and draglinks for crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ColAdo82K5, Jan 21, 2004.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Thoughts about this plan:
    I'm ordering a 2.5 inch dropped draglink for my 6 inch lift. I'm planning on using two right hand thread stock "80's" style tierod ends on the bent draglink. They are short and use 7/8's thread.
    The advantage to this is that 3 out of 4 of my rod ends will be the same part, which is availible anywhere.
    This truck is a DD and my rig as well. It is staying half ton because of the body work and the fact that it's not going bigger than it's current 35's for daily driving.
    So, are these ends going to hold up ? ES2234R ends are what i'm talking about.
    I hear some draglinks are coming in with 1 inch threads...Do you use the 1 ton tierod ends for these are what ? I think 7/8 should be enough for this application.
    Thoughts ?
    Blake

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Im using the 7/8" ends on mine and have beat it pretty good. Remember how bad my tierod looked after the Fall Crawl? These tierods are still in use.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ColAdo82K5

Neil,
    I forgot that I had some part numbers scribbled down here...and I think you use ES2234R and ES2010L on your tierod ? Doesn't that sound familiar ? The left hand thread being a dodge part...
    Well, If that's what you are running in your tireod..(stock 80's half ton tierod ends) then it should hold up great in my draglink !

sidenote: Don't you check your answering machine ? return my call, dang it !

Blake

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Sorry dude, the "wife" must have taken that message! I'll call ya. Yes, I have both sets of tierod ends on the draglink and the tierod.

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I was under the impression that draglinks have a higher sheer rate than tie rod ends and that tierod ends are the way to go..this is what I heard... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

DLE's allow more angle than a TRE. I am not sure on the load rating though.

7. ColAdo82K5

From what I have read and seen, draglink ends are not as strong because of the long body they have attatched. I believe even our own Steve Fox bent a draglink end, on his draglink, but then switched to tierod ends on his draglink and has yet to have a problem.
    Tierod ends are stronger because of the thick, enclosed, short body they have around the actual joint. Draglnk ends have more flex to them however.
    But that is just my thoughts and hear-say...
    I'll do this soon and let you all know how it does.
    Blake

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

thats what I thought, well I went with tie rod ends so well see /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I used TRE's on mine also. Hope it works!

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

The design of TRE's is stronger than a DLE. The major issue in a x-over style drag link is the extreme angle it can produce while flexed. This will rarely break an end, it just wares them out prematurely. If you get good quality ones they won't fatigue (sp) as early. Get a lifetime warranty for sure. (carquest = moog, autozone = spicer)