Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

draglink problems.. again

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

ok, so i put my 3in lift on my blazer with a 2in pitman arm. a couple weeks of street driving and the draglink end at the steering arm started creaking and squeaking.it was suggested here that i replace it with a new part, and that fixed the sound. now a couple weeks later its right back where i started, creaking and squeaking. i cant figure it out. i never had any problems with this for the years ive had the truck before the lift. what could be the causs?

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

is your drag link still level?..sometimes alot of angle on it will cause premature wear,but geesh..2 weeks you may have just gotten a bad part or something...or did it come loose causing the noise??

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

well its a 3in lift and a 2in pitman arm, so its about 1" angle. the part was from a trusted auto parts store that i would swear by. not junk from kragen or something. im kinda leaning on bad angle. but is 1" bad? this is the setup that steven from ORD recommended. it is still tight, i did notice a slight wearspot on the steering arm tho when i replaced it. only on one side tho, the hole was still in shape just the edge was worn.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Alright, please don't take this as an insult, but I have to ask! What kind of grease are you running in your joints? If you use marine grease and make sure they are greased REALLY well, you should never have a problem with a 1" taper! I know people that run 2.5"-3" lifts with no steering correction all the time! Never having a problem! I would venture into regreasing them with a higher quality grease! Also, (again please don't take this wrong) the joints that come from parts store that say prelubed.... Aren't lubed enough! EVERY TIME you change a joint, pack that thing like it's the last time it ever gets packed! Just a thought! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i greased it up real good before i installed the part. i did use cheap lithium grease tho. what grease would you recommend .marine grease best? or good chassis grease.

6. cjblais

cjblais Registered Member

Valvoline High temp chassis grease is what I consider the best used it for a couple years and not a single problem but like batman said grease the hell out of it

7. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i was just wondering where you got the pitman arm from? i've got a 2 1/2" lift, and would like to get that arm to correct my steering. thanks in advance!!

rick

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

well, i greased the piss outta the thing with marine grease, even took off the pitman arm end so i could rotate it around while i greased.still no change. i thing ive got a curse on me or something. im completely stumped.i guess i get another end unless i come up with something else.maybe try a raised steering arm instead. i dunno.

rick88blaze :i got my pitman arm thru ORD, but its a skyjacker piece.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

R U sure it's the joint itself that's making noise ? I'm thinking possibly a tapered pin coming loose (nuts tight ?). Maybe loose cone washers, although those wouldn't come & go with a new TRE/DLE.

FWIW I've had zero good luck with marine grease. I use either Red-I heavy equipment grease or Redline CV joint grease depending on the application.

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

thanks dude!! i really appreciate it.

rick