Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Draglink problems

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by metto, Jul 14, 2005.

1. metto

metto Registered Member

i got my bent drag link in the mail today, looks awsome, super beefy. one problem though - i cant get the TRE's to thread into the ends. maybe im looking up the wrong part number, i went to the parts store and asked for drag link ends for a 1986 1 ton chevy truck and they dont fit. does any one have the correct part number or did ORD not tap mine the right way? i though 1 ton TRE's (7/8-18) was the standard unless you ask for somting else? :confused:

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can't do much for you but to say call and talk to Beck at ORD. Stephen and James are both gone to UA but they should be back Tueday if you want to talk to Stephen.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

are you putting the correct ones in the correst side? one is right hand thread and one is left, if you mix them up then they wont thread in

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

p.s. never trust a parts store, always double check somewhere else. just cause their computer says something dont meant its right. i doubght the link is threaded wrong. to many things would have to be wrong for that to happen

5. Ronnie4wd

Ronnie4wd 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had problems with my m1008 draglink and found out that even if you can fit the TRE in to the draglink it wont fit the pitman arm or the steering arm.
    Because the height and width of the "cone".
    Sorry if the word is not right.
    The only ends that have the right "cone" is to my knowledge the ones for the draglink and the ones specially made for bent (lift) draglinks.

6. metto

metto Registered Member

i got on the horn with ORD on friday, they said that they have custom made short ends that are the standard 7/8-18tpi. thats the other problem i didnt mention - with standard ends, the DL ended up being about 6" too long. im fine with having to buy ORDs ends even though the almost $100 price seemed a little steep, but the thing is what happens if i break one when im out? i cant use GM ends so what, im supposed to sit on the side of Lower 2 till they can ship me a set?

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It's not really that bad, go to a parts store and look up an end with the tie rod taper and a 7/8-18 end, there are a couple of common applications for them.
    Make sure to save your jam nuts, they're several dollars each. And be prepared to shell out somewhere around $40 each for a quality tie rod end. That sounds familiar...

8. metto

metto Registered Member

i spent a few hours at the parts store before i saw this . i just wish i had seen it before i shelled out all the money for the other ones from yall. no offense, you make a good product, i just wish that you would tell people in advance that they need a special part to work with your DL. i hope one of the DLE's in the link i posted will work, but i still need to check

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

One thing you need to keep in mind is that part of what we sell is information and unfortunately until I have my own 1-900 number, the only way to make a living selling info is by selling parts too. The ends we use in our draglinks and tierods are commonly available but we don't tell you exactly what they are because we carry the kit and they are a bit specific in that they have more angularity than the off the shelf equivalent which helps in some applications. Will something else work? Probably. Will it be the same? No. And it's not like we're raping anyone on the price, $85 for a pair of ends with jam nuts isn't out of line. We had a local stop in last week that had just spent over $100 for the wrong stuff at Napa, he was happy to get our end kit.

10. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

even if you buy the correct ones at the parts store your still looking at 85$ or more