Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

draglink rubbing

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 12B, Apr 5, 2003.

1. 12B

12B Registered Member

Click on the link below for pictures of my mysterious draglink rubbing. On this stock rig with 31's, the front draglink joint rubs on right turns. Does anything seem peculiar with this setup? I've tried to take shots of as many angles as possible. How do I remedy this?
    Webshots

2. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

That steering arm looks like it is made to use on a lifted vehicle. As far as the rubbing I would guess you have aftermarket wheels with too much back spacing. If thats not it then I'll ask this: Does it turn equally both directions or would it if not for the rubbing?

3. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is a poor shot of a proper stock steering arm, My webshots for sale pic It drops a lot closer to the axle tube than yours does, and has the proper steering geometry for a stock ride height.

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I'd have to agree, the steering arm you have does not look right. Mine also comes alot closer to the axle tube.
    The backspacing of your wheels looks like it's too much also. I have front drums and my 4" back spaced rims come even with the drum. Yours looks like the drum is being swallowed.

5. mastercraftkpk

mastercraftkpk 1/2 ton status

Your prob is most likely rim backspacing being too severe. Take it to a reputable tire shop and have them take a look at it. They will be able to tell you the degre of backspacing that you currently have.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Stroked72Blazer

One solution for back spacing is wheel spacers but I would recomend you avoid that rout as it puts extra stress on thelug studs and ball joints.

7. Stroked72Blazer

Just thought I'd add: I have stock steering arm I am using with a 6" lift. I might be interested in swaping.

Does any one know if there is any thing else that needs to be replaced with the steering arm? Arn't there some kind of cones that are used to set these things in place?