Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Drain plug for axle housing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Aug 21, 2001.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Has anyone drilled and tapped an oil drain plug on your axle housing? If so, can you tell us the pros or cons? Thanks in advance.

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What axle housing(s) are you referring too (D44, 10 bolt, 12 bolt, D60, 14FF, 14SF, etc), and why are you wanting to do this? There are easier ways to drain and add fluid without drilling the housing, or is if for another purpose?

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

3. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Leadfoot, I have the 10 bolt diffs, but it shouldn't matter. My goal was to make it easier to drain the oil. Removing the cover is just time consuming. My Toyota (and past Toyo's) have drain plugs and maintenance is effortless.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

well, yeah you could if your just bored and looking for something to do. But you only have to change that stuff like every blue moon. So I'd say that it would be more trouble than its worth.

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

And plus when you change it it is a good time to look over everything.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

6. Leadfoot

Why put it in the axle tubes? You wouldn't drain enough oil to do any good. If you're going to do it, put one in the center section toward the bottom (where it might get bashed to hell), or put one in the cover (where you won;t get it low enough to drain all the fluid. For the hassles and drawbacks it's easier to just pull the cover and drain (as said before, it's a great chance to see if anything is getting ready to blow, before it does you can fix it). Also the only added cost is a gasket and/or silicone sealer ($5 or so). You can do what you want (to each his own, and I am not bashing you), but I would not do it. JMHO.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

7. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Leadfoot, the intent was to place it on the center housing not the tubes, sorry I wasn't clear (didn't take your response as bashing, thanks). Just wanted some opinions... I tell ya, the Toyo axle housings make life easier. It's too bad Cheby and Dana don't install drain plugs.

8. Leadfoot

Alex, where on the 'Toy' axles are the drain plugs (I am unfamiliar with them)? The reason I ask, is in order to drain all (or 99%) of the oil, you would have to have the plug in the bottom of the centersection housing. If it is there and sticks below the housing, I would imagine it could get messed up on trail debris and rocks. Even if the head was recessed, I would still worry about damage. A 'Toy' balancing on a rock by the diff housing puts a lot less force on the housing than a fullsize rig like a K5. If you don't have rocks to worry about then I would say cool, but I would always be worried about leaks (but then again that is probably me being paranoid [​IMG]). Depending on the wheeling, or lack thereof, that you do. I would say go ahead, just be careful. Good Luck.

9. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Do you have compressed air ?
    If so there is a neat air tool that turns 100 or so PSI, into sucktion(Vaccum) like 10-15 inch mecury,
    you hook up three hoses, air, sucktion, discharge.
    Might be a cheaper option to DNR's ( Drian and refills).
    Good luck

10. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Alex,
    B&amp;M makes a drain plug kit for trans pans that didn't originally have a plug. I don't see why that wouldn't work on a diff cover.
    JT

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Dont "think" that drain plug kit for the tranny pans would be long enough due to the thickness of the diff housing. But thats just a thought off the top of my head!

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

12. konajoe

konajoe 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Alex check this out...

The early Dana axles came from the factory with drain plugs, I just drilled and tapped the bottom of my housing.
    Just tap the hole deep enough for the pipe plug to sit flush or just below the surface and you'll be fine.

Joe
    79 K10
    68 K20

<a target="_blank" href=http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//showthreaded.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadchevstandard&amp;Number=477164&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;vc=1#Post477164&gt;http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//showthreaded.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadchevstandard&amp;Number=477164&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;vc=1#Post477164&lt;/a&gt;>http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//showthreaded.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadchevstandard&amp;Number=477164&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;vc=1#Post477164&gt;http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//showthreaded.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=offroadchevstandard&amp;Number=477164&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=&amp;vc=1#Post477164&lt;/a&gt;</a>

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think the best way to do it would be to drill the bottom pan cover hole so that it will drain the fluid. That way there is no plug on the bottom to get scraped off (like the Yota's).

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There are hand suction pumps out. they are about the size of a Grease gun with a hose. They hold about a quart and are cheap. If you want to get real trick on the ones in the dif cover you could weld in a pipe that when you pull the check/fill plug you could stick the hose on it and suck it out so you don't have to fish it to the bottom of the pumpkin.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

15. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Try this, it's really easy. Pull the cover and drain oil, then look at the bottom diff cover bolt hole bosses. I actually had a bolt hole that came through the boss, so I drilled the back of it out to where the bolt hole was a straight shot into the diff. Then you use thread sealer on your bottom bolt, and when you pull it, it will drain the oil. I used it to check for water in the diff, since it goes to the bottom, I could just pull the bolt out and if water came out, I knew it was bad.
    Don't try to change the oil in cold weather, the hole is much too small for the oil to get out, it take forever!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>