Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Draining battery?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EDGE, Sep 17, 2000.

  1. EDGE

    EDGE Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2000
    Posts:
    42
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    virginia beach , va
    It has been two days since I've started my 86 k5.When I tried to start it today,the battery was totally dead.I jumped it and let it run to let the alternator charge up the battery.I then shut it off and restarted it to see if the alternator was charging the bat. and it was.Where should I look? Is this a common problem? The bat. is good but a circuit is open that is sucking the life out of it.
     
  2. sosamantx

    sosamantx 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2000
    Posts:
    393
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    somewhere in Texas
    <font color=blue>Are you sure that it is a short in your K5, and that you did not leave anything on (dome light, etc.), and have you added anything new to it? It could be a weak battery, loose connection, as well. I know that at Autozone they can take the cart out and put the clamp on the battery cable and tell if there is a current draw on your battery ( .1 amp is acceptable), anymore than that and something is draining it. You could pull each fuse one at a time and probe with a test light and see what is on and try to track it down that way. I had a guy come in awhile back and kept telling me that the battery was bad, however after I started probing him, I discovered that he just had a car stereo and amp put in and it was the amp that was draining the battery, I just suggested that he take it back to whoever installed the amp. - Steve</font color=blue>

    <font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html
     
  3. EDGE

    EDGE Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2000
    Posts:
    42
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    virginia beach , va
    I haven't added anything yet.I just bought it a few days ago.When I took the negative side of the battery off and then touched it to its terminal,it had a small spark.I made sure that all of the doors were shut,radio off,ect.,ect.
     
  4. sosamantx

    sosamantx 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2000
    Posts:
    393
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    somewhere in Texas
    <font color=blue>On most vehicles you will get a small spark when hooking up the battery, due to the computer, car stereo memory, underhood light, etc., etc. If you just bought it, I would make sure that the battery is good (have it tested) and make sure that it has enough cranking amps for your application. I have seen people all the time buy the cheapest battery that they can find (some because they are cheap, and others because that's all that they can afford at the time), only to have problems later, due to marginal cranking amps. I also see people get a cheap battery because they are getting it ready to sell and they don't want to put anymore money into the vehicle. Also check the battery cables for corrosion, and a good connection (especially the negative on the block), sometimes things might work OK and then you start having an intermittent problem(s). I am only mentioning this stuff as you have just stated that you just bought it. Anyway good luck, and keep us posted. - Steve</font color=blue>

    <font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html
     
  5. EDGE

    EDGE Registered Member

    Joined:
    Aug 12, 2000
    Posts:
    42
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    virginia beach , va
    Thank you Steve,I'll dig into it this week and try to figure it out. Thanks.
     
  6. DBLAZER

    DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2000
    Posts:
    1,716
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Haslet, Tx
    If you have a normal test light. Take your positive cable off of the terminal post and put the test light in between the cable and the terminal. If your test light lights up it means you have a pretty good current draw. Make sure that your dome light is off. Then you can take and pull one fuse at a time to try to locate your current draw.If the light goes out you have found the problem. I would, however, do as suggested before and check the obviuos. Have the battery tested and have the alternator tested. That is usually where you will find the problem. Hope this helps.

    [​IMG]
     
  7. Espen88k5

    Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2000
    Posts:
    981
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Norway
    I'v experienced the same .
    The car had just been bought and the previous owner had put a brand new alternator in there, And he had the batteries replaced under a year ago. (6,2 diesel, twin batteri set upp) He was making a point of just how much he had done to that part of the veichle.....hmmmm
    Well same story as yours. Leave it for more than 2 days and it was tapped out.This wasnt a problem at first because I could'nt stay away from it for that long anyways...

    This is what I found.

    <font color=red>5%</font color=red> - a relé had been mounted wrong. I felt it was hot when I touched it and it was on all the time.
    <font color=red>95%</font color=red> - The batteri connection. It had the truck-style mounting. (bolt to batteri instead of the clamps to terminal) And this was all loosely joined together with stripped fastners. I dident think it mattered that I could twist them a litle around, but it does. I replaced everything with simple clamp-ons. It fixed it permanently.

    The bad batteri connection deprives it of charging and makes it work overtime suplying your truck. Take care of your batteries, thats what we learned in the army anyways......

    http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com
     

Share This Page