Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

draining cooling system

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Dec 8, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

is there a drain plug at the bottom of the radiator that I can use, so that it will not all rush out? or do I just need to pull the bottom hose? Any tips for not drowning in the stuff? I think I can use some oil catch pans to catch the coolant.
    Thanks,
    James

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There is usally a draincock on the rear face at the bottom on one side or the other. But usally you can't remove them easily or they strip when you apply the nessesary force to open in.:o Removing the bottom hose is easist, just get a wide catch pan.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Our trucks have one on the drivers side front bottom , easy to get too . Expect to try and funnel the coolant and end up with some on the ground and your steering gearbox anyway :D

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Siphon it out..

I usually use a siphon hose inserted into the radiator to drain most of it..its easier and you wont spill most of it..using the petcock (if you can get it to open) makes the coolant splash all over the frame,steering box,and inner fenderwell,even if you try putting a hose over it..since I'm a cheap s.o.b.,I like to save every drop and put it back in if its still useable..anti-freeze is expensive!..(plus I dont want pets drinking any I spill!)-I only use the petcock to drain whatever the siphon hose wont remove..usually only a quart or two..

If your just changing a water pump or thermostat,you needen't drain it 100% anyway..just enough to lower the coolant below the level of whatever your removing...:crazy:

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I swaping the motor. I certainly don't want my cats to get ahold of any of it. So how do you start the siphon? I certainly don't wanna try to start it with my mouth :crazy: .........
    I know I'm an idiot, but what is a petcock? I would have guessed a domesticated rooster :doah:
    Thanks,
    James

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Another name for the valve to drain the coolant.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

A Petcock...? :)

A pet cock is another name for a drain cock.:rolleyes: --must be a yankee term??:crazy:

I have a few siphon hoses- one you just squeeze a bulb dewhickey to start the siphoning..a turkey baster bulb used in the open end of the hose correctly will work too.(its a bit tricky).--the other one I have has a thing you slide while your thumb is over the open end of the hose,to start the siphon action....

I've also seen guys use clear tubing and use mouth suction to siphon stuff out..at least you can see it coming before you get a mouthfull..

One guy I know just puts his hand over the radiator cap opening,with the siphon hose betwwen his fingers,and blows into the hose going to the overflow bottle..I'm not that brave..:rolleyes: ..I don't like the taste of prestone and water..:doah: ..

8. JSH

JSH Registered Member

How about slipping some correctly sized pvc tubing over the opening of the draincock and then opening it. I am pretty sure that is how i did it last time, I think you can still turn it with the tubing on. As already mentioned, removing the lower radiator hose is the fastest and messiest way.

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I replaced my domesticated rooster with a 90* valve from the hardware store. Now when I drain my coolant I just open the valve and it drains downward instead of all over the frame.